Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Recommended Posts

Strange, I found using very high gain approaching or at the maximum of 600 and exposures of 60-120s works well for me for faint nebulae, and for widefield imaging.  Capturing several hundred subs and using PixInsight for processing on a fast Linux Mint desktop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is an unguided image made possible by the ASI1600. M31. 229 x 30 seconds at unity and 90 x 10 second binned 2x2 each RGB for under 3 hours total. TS60ED on a StarAdventurer. Amazing what can be d

Great image - lots of data in that Here are my stacked and post-processed subs from Friday night into Saturday morning.  All subs were 30s exposure with 135mm f2.5 Asahi Super Takumar lens at ful

Here is my latest. Narrowband 5 mins subs for all the Ha, Oiii, Sii channels. The weak signal Oiii caused problems as the amp glow at 5 mins is proving a little tricky to be honest. End result is hard

Posted Images

Hi

Is anyone using the 1600 with a starlight xpress filter wheel? Would I just be able to attach filter and camera together or do I need an adapter. I will also need to connect my baader mpcc. Just want to make sure I get all the right bits for the job.

 

Thanks,

Spill.

Edited by spillage
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gina said:

Strange, I found using very high gain approaching or at the maximum of 600 and exposures of 60-120s works well for me for faint nebulae, and for widefield imaging.  Capturing several hundred subs and using PixInsight for processing on a fast Linux Mint desktop.

I'll be experimenting with high gain again soon, will come back with results and comparison. :)

1 hour ago, spillage said:

Hi

Is anyone using the 1600 with a starlight xpress filter wheel? Would I just be able to attach filter and camera together or do I need an adapter. I will also need to connect my baader mpcc. Just want to make sure I get all the right bits for the job.

 

Thanks,

Spill.

I'm using an SXUSB FW 5x2". The 1600 can screw directly into the filter wheel as long as you have the correctly threaded adapter attached on to that side (T2 female). This also depends on your setup and how much total spacing you need, e.g. for my setup, I needed around 60mm spacing between the 1600 and the focal reducer for my scope.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/11/2017 at 13:25, sloz1664 said:

The images are very good for such a short exposure time. BTW what scope are you using?

Steve

Thanks Steve :-) I was very surprised too at just 50 mins. I used my 130PDS OTA for this (HEQ5), 5 slot manual filter wheel and a Baader 7nm Ha filter. I shot 10x5 min lights at the 'unity' gain setting and cooled the 1600 to -15. I used APT for acquisition and PHD2 (50mm finder/guider + QHY5L-IIc) for guiding. Interestingly I didn't use any darks, flats or bias either.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:17, AlastairW said:

2nd outing with my recently purchased 1600mm-c. Very pleased with this camera so far and results with only 50mins of data. ..

I thought this camera had a lot of amp glow that needed processing out. Your images are fantastic and don't seem to show any glow. May be I am missing something..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2017 at 16:17, AlastairW said:

2nd outing with my recently purchased 1600mm-c. Very pleased with this camera so far and results with only 50mins of data. 

 

 

Lovely images, what scope and mount were you using to capture these with?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Star Gazer said:

I thought this camera had a lot of amp glow that needed processing out. Your images are fantastic and don't seem to show any glow. May be I am missing something..

It calibrates out with matching dark frames.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a test image of my new ASI1600mm pro. Yesterday during a really windy night (the roof was moving without the lock)  I did this 5 min single exposure on M45. The distance from the flattener to the sensor is close to be good (i think so).

I know the stars are overexposed but I want to know if the sensor looks like it should be.

This  image is with no darks, flats or anything at the unity gain.

The image was done with a TS 480 F6 with a 2.5 flattener on a avalon mount.

I come from a 450D so I dont know what I have to expect from the raw data :)

test bis.jpg

Edited by Astrobug
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that even without flats,bias or darks this camera produces some great images with minimum issue that can be cropped out. Blows my old 500d out of the water. 

What filter where you using?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The filter is an Astronomik L typ 2C. The ZWO filterwheel is installed with LRGB filter from astronomik (1,25). It will take some time before I will use the other filters. It's a big step forward from the 450D.

Edited by Astrobug
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Astrobug I know just how you feel. I think file organisation and attention to stacking is needed. Took me 2 days to get my stacking correct as I was just used to chucking in all the files and letting rip without reference files. Although I now need to redo my flats due to my cockup.

I'm finding coming from a dslr that these cameras are data hoovers and you really need to keep on top of it all.

Edited by spillage
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

I've started a thread for the ASI1600MM Pro - as opposed to the ASI1600MM Cool.

Was this a good idea? Should we look at them as two separate cameras?

Or should we fold the ASI1600MM Pro into this thread?

It might make it hard to search on is my main worry.

Please let me know.

Cheers.

Ian

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Astrobug said:

This is a test image of my new ASI1600mm pro. Yesterday during a really windy night (the roof was moving without the lock)  I did this 5 min single exposure on M45. The distance from the flattener to the sensor is close to be good (i think so).

I know the stars are overexposed but I want to know if the sensor looks like it should be.

This  image is with no darks, flats or anything at the unity gain.

The image was done with a TS 480 F6 with a 2.5 flattener on a avalon mount.

I come from a 450D so I dont know what I have to expect from the raw data :)

test bis.jpg

That looks fine to me.

Andy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ian_bird said:

Was this a good idea? Should we look at them as two separate cameras?

Or should we fold the ASI1600MM Pro into this thread?

It might make it hard to search on is my main worry.

 

This thread is a gold mine for the newcomer to this developing equipment so I'm sure people will continue to come to it and any other threads that are created for this camera.

Indeed, it may be that the Pro information is lost to the newcomer if it isn't in this thread - so there's potential for missing the opportunity to share your experience.

.....and how I wish I could afford the Pro as well LOL!

David

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.