SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI1600mm cool

Andyb90

4 minutes ago, lrt75914 said:

So there are no desiccant tablets in the sensor chamber?

That appears to be the case.  The document attached to the link in my posting on the other thread suggests there aren't any tablets in the camera when you first receive it and you only need to connect the tablet holder if/when you encountering fogging at a later stage.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RobRob said:

Pacman nebula with ASI 1600mm

34x Ha @ 900 sec
29x OIII @ 900 sec
38x SII @ 900 sec

130/910mm TS APO refractor i.c.w. 0,8x reducer/flattener and Baader filters

NGC281 Pacman SB.jpg

Great image Robrob. I am also looking for filters for this camera . I am aware of the ZWO filters , however I would prefer the narrowband . Are the ones used for the above image all Baader narrowband . Asking ..... as I am very new to this kind of imaging......Regards. Alan.

1.25" filters work with this camera.  I got very slight vignetting with the Atik EFW2 which corrected out easily with flats.  The ZWO wheel moves the filters closer to the camera sensor and there's negligible vignetting.

Thought Id get a couple of clear moonless  nights in on the trot recently- turned out only to be one !

I had a go at IC405 the flaming star nebula with the 1600mm - cool and the TS71 imaging star refractor.  

Result is below - just one nights worth of data so needs a bit more really

46x200s HA

12x200s R, G and B

Used Darks and Bias although my flats didn't work out that well so didn't use them in the end.  Processed in Pixinsight .

I saw some signs of amp glow on the 200s subs but appeared to calibrate out with the darks - see copy of a stretched dark showing the glow below

ic405_1600_ts71_lrgb_ct_dp 1.jpg

Stretched dark 200s @-30C.jpg

Is anyone using the new 7 position ZWO USB filter wheel, as am looking to upgrade my SX 5 position mini USB filter wheel with OAG (in the classifieds section) and this looks like a contender, also looking at the 1600mm-cool.... :) 

8 hours ago, SkyBound said:

Is anyone using the new 7 position ZWO USB filter wheel, as am looking to upgrade my SX 5 position mini USB filter wheel with OAG (in the classifieds section) and this looks like a contender, also looking at the 1600mm-cool.... :) 

I'm using the new 8 position ZWO EFW - with ZWO LRGB and Baader nb filters

Works perfectly :-)

David

3 hours ago, David_L said:

I'm using the new 8 position ZWO EFW - with ZWO LRGB and Baader nb filters

Works perfectly :-)

David

I meant 8 position, but I will have the 7x36mm version as I already have a full set of 36mm unmounted Baader filters. :)

glad it works well,  elides the Ascom driver is there a stand alone control programme, and what programmes do you know that the Ascom driver works with, I want to use it with APT and SGP Pro...

I  have just received my new camera and other related kit - as a prior DSLR imager this is new territory for me and I am both excited and a little anxious, I suspect hours of reading over Xmas and hopefully imaging in the near future.  As the accompanying literature and even the online manual are sparse, to say the least, I expect much time will be spent here and elsewhere trying to pick up tips etc.   

Meanwhile, as a simple query, can I plug the ZWO 1600-Cool into a power bar with other items i.e. using a dedicated socket but on a bar or is it better to use a direct supply for the camera only? Can't remember if I imagined this or it applies to another camera but thought I read the camera can be a bit fickle sharing a power supply?  What are others doing?

Thanks, Graham

46 minutes ago, Filroden said:

Mine shares power with the mount and PC and doesn't seem to mind. It's only driving the cooling (the camera itself is powered via USB) and my holds rock solid once set. 

OK thanks Ken, pleased to hear.

16 hours ago, halli said:

Thought Id get a couple of clear moonless  nights in on the trot recently- turned out only to be one !

I had a go at IC405 the flaming star nebula with the 1600mm - cool and the TS71 imaging star refractor.  

Result is below - just one nights worth of data so needs a bit more really

46x200s HA

12x200s R, G and B

Used Darks and Bias although my flats didn't work out that well so didn't use them in the end.  Processed in Pixinsight .

I saw some signs of amp glow on the 200s subs but appeared to calibrate out with the darks - see copy of a stretched dark showing the glow below

ic405_1600_ts71_lrgb_ct_dp 1.jpg

Stretched dark 200s @-30C.jpg

A brilliant image . 

20 hours ago, Gina said:

1.25" filters work with this camera.  I got very slight vignetting with the Atik EFW2 which corrected out easily with flats.  The ZWO wheel moves the filters closer to the camera sensor and there's negligible vignetting.

I have now ordered the ZWO fliter wheel mini and filters . I shall be very occupied the coming months !!

3 hours ago, SkyBound said:

I meant 8 position, but I will have the 7x36mm version as I already have a full set of 36mm unmounted Baader filters. :)

glad it works well,  elides the Ascom driver is there a stand alone control programme, and what programmes do you know that the Ascom driver works with, I want to use it with APT and SGP Pro...

I use it with Nebulosity 4, there's a selector for an external EFW which provides a popup to connect to the EFW - no external program I'm aware of.

3 hours ago, groberts said:

I  have just received my new camera and other related kit - as a prior DSLR imager this is new territory for me and I am both excited and a little anxious, I suspect hours of reading over Xmas and hopefully imaging in the near future.  As the accompanying literature and even the online manual are sparse, to say the least, I expect much time will be spent here and elsewhere trying to pick up tips etc.   

Meanwhile, as a simple query, can I plug the ZWO 1600-Cool into a power bar with other items i.e. using a dedicated socket but on a bar or is it better to use a direct supply for the camera only? Can't remember if I imagined this or it applies to another camera but thought I read the camera can be a bit fickle sharing a power supply?  What are others doing?

Thanks, Graham

I run the camera and dew heaters from the same 12v power supply.

On two occaisions when I was taking flats I noticed prominent lines running across the screen, turned off the dew heater and they went away.

As I was able to repeat the event by turning the dew heater on/off its seems directly related.

I haven't noticed these lines in any subs - just in while taking flats - so I leave the dew heater on during imaging and switch it off for flats.

David

Finally, it arrived. Even big chance of clear skies after 23-01 tonight.

It's slightly bigger than I expected. Should have bought the ZWO Holder Ring for ASI Cooled Cameras. At first I thought it would have been too small to hold tight the camera and a lens, but I think it can do just fine with the camera + FW + a 135mm lens. It will be included in the next order.

I have to check if the 1.25" filters will vignette at a faster F ratio, maybe at F/4 or F/3.5. Then I should decide if I will need to get a 7 position EFW at 36mm or a 1.25" 8 positions is enough. O3 and S2 1.25" filters have to be bought nevertheless. I have ZWO LRGB for ASI1600 and Ha 7nm from Optolong. O3 from Optolong at 6.5nm is not available right now in my area, but the S2 6.5nm is. Thinking if I should wait until January when it will be available, to get the O3 12nm one from Optolong which is available right now or to buy an Astronomik O3 6nm until Christmas. I wouldn't mix all brands though.. decisions, decisions..

Hopefully I will post images soon.

Clear skies,

Alex

15491571_1433530053366318_1137086582_o.jpg

2 hours ago, moise212 said:

Finally, it arrived. Even big chance of clear skies after 23-01 tonight.

It's slightly bigger than I expected. Should have bought the ZWO Holder Ring for ASI Cooled Cameras. At first I thought it would have been too small to hold tight the camera and a lens, but I think it can do just fine with the camera + FW + a 135mm lens. It will be included in the next order.

I have to check if the 1.25" filters will vignette at a faster F ratio, maybe at F/4 or F/3.5. Then I should decide if I will need to get a 7 position EFW at 36mm or a 1.25" 8 positions is enough. O3 and S2 1.25" filters have to be bought nevertheless. I have ZWO LRGB for ASI1600 and Ha 7nm from Optolong. O3 from Optolong at 6.5nm is not available right now in my area, but the S2 6.5nm is. Thinking if I should wait until January when it will be available, to get the O3 12nm one from Optolong which is available right now or to buy an Astronomik O3 6nm until Christmas. I wouldn't mix all brands though.. decisions, decisions..

Hopefully I will post images soon.

Clear skies,

Alex

15491571_1433530053366318_1137086582_o.jpg

Why is the screw missing from the hole on the side, you will get air in there and then moisture, that should be in at all times, unless you are using the desicant holder....! :)

1 minute ago, SkyBound said:

Why is the screw missing from the hole on the side, you will get air in there and then moisture, that should be in at all times, unless you are using the desicant holder....! :)

You just beat me to it :) I was wondering the same.  Hopefully it wasn't shipped liked that.  For comparison see my pic in this post to see the screw: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/282412-zwo-asi1600-cameras/?do=findComment&comment=3092095

I was wondering too, but I didn't double check yet. That's how I received it today from FLO. I'll open it again and check. Hopefully, if the screw is not in the box, I can find a similar one.

Edit: checked again, there's no screw. I think I have to use the desicant holder with a desicant table instead since air already got in.

18 minutes ago, moise212 said:

I was wondering too, but I didn't double check yet. That's how I received it today from FLO. I'll open it again and check. Hopefully, if the screw is not in the box, I can find a similar one.

Edit: checked again, there's no screw. I think I have to use the desicant holder with a desicant table instead since air already got in.

That's not good, especially from FLO, that should have been shipped with it intact, I would assume the chamber is airtight when built and you only use the tablets if needed and dew forms on the sensor, which may never happen, so it is not meant to have the tablet holder fitted all the time....

personally if it was me, I would get it changed, especially with not even the screw in the box, you shouldn't have to find your own to fit.... :)

2 minutes ago, SkyBound said:

That's not good, especially from FLO, that should have been shipped with it intact, I would assume the chamber is airtight when built and you only use the tablets if needed and dew forms on the sensor, which may never happen, so it is not meant to have the tablet holder fitted all the time....

personally if it was me, I would get it changed, especially with not even the screw in the box, you shouldn't have to find your own to fit.... :)

I'm not particularly happy to send it back. I waited almost 4 weeks for it to arrive. I'd rather accept a compromise than wait another 2 weeks.

Archived