SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI1600mm cool

Andyb90

45 Seconds!?! Fantastic!

For people coming to this link looking for what this camera can do - here's what I think is a passable narrow band effort :-)

David

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Filroden said:

Each time I use the camera is continues to amaze me what's possible not only with short exposures, but also with very few of them. Here's a quick processing of the Flame and HH Nebula with only 28 x 45s lum, and between 8 and 10 x 45s RGB at -20C, 300 gain and with a 50 offset. Minimal noise reduction on the luminescence.

I will probably have to either reduce my exposure times further or reduce gain as I'm overexposing most of the star cores, even in RGB.

I suppose the scope was the 80mm in your signature, not an f2 hyperstar:)) Nice, details are there! As for stars: yes, 12bit seems to be the only major week point of the camera.:(

7 minutes ago, GTom said:

I suppose the scope was the 80mm in your signature, not an f2 hyperstar:)) Nice, details are there! As for stars: yes, 12bit seems to be the only major week point of the camera.:(

Sorry, yes it was the 80mm. I'm going to try unity next to see if I can stay at about 45s and improve the cores, at least in RGB as a minimum.

10 hours ago, Adam J said:

Do you get live view on cooled CMOS (coldmos) sensors like this one and the QHY163 m?

I use SGPro for capture. It's flaming and focus module let's you take endless sequences of images limited only by your USB download speed. I either use 1s at 1x1 bin or 0.5s at 4x4 and get almost as good a live view as my DSLR.

12 hours ago, Adam J said:

Do you get live view on cooled CMOS (coldmos) sensors like this one and the QHY163 m?

The ASI1600MM works with Nebulosity 4 perfectly and using the frame and focus function you get a virtual live view limited by the length of exposure you need to take to see the object

7 hours ago, DaveS said:

No astrocamera will give you live view. You have to take short exposures and check them on the computer.

With this not being a classical astro-cam / CCD i thought it was a reasonable question.

26 minutes ago, Adam J said:

With this not being a classical astro-cam / CCD i thought it was a reasonable question.

Yup I thought it was :).. I think really its down to how "live" you want the view to be though.. for astro use anyway. Depending on the sensitivity of the sensor be it CCD or CMOS will depend on how useful it is. I "think" CMOS has a faster way of reading the data from the sensor?.. however for our type of use.. live view for focusing & framing.. short exposures are more useful because of sensitivity of a lot of targets. Some of the video cameras have internal buffering that allows stacking of multiple exposures to give a sort of live view. I would think in this case the hardware is probably capable & would just need software support to achieve it.. but how useful would that be over short exposures anyway?

I suppose you could get something like live view by whacking the gain up, the resolution down and taking short exposures on a loop.

Not relying on live view was the first thing I had to learn to do without when I moved to CCD.

When using APT with this camera, can you tell me which format you collect images in, Raw, fits, tiff etc.? I use DSS for stacking. It seems that the only place to store them is on the c drive, has anyone found a way to get them into a document?

This whole thread is just so interesting and many thanks to all those who contribute.

Regards,

P.

18 minutes ago, piprees said:

Thanks SkyBound, Doh, folder, not document, it's the dementia kicking in...

P.

Yes I know the feeling :)

Is there not a folder on your C drive called APT images...? It should have been created when you installed APT, then each imaging session has its own folder, dated, within that one.. :)

Weather is looking clear where I am tonight so I'll be having my first go with the asi1600.

However my imaging train is all new, from scope, flattener, filter wheel to camera so I'm not making things easy for myself :icon_biggrin:

And just to make things more complicated I'll be using SGP properly for the first time.

I'll be happy if I can just get a few Ha frames of something up there.

Andy.

Yeh, found the folder on the c drive, it saves as fit files. Would that pose any problems with DSS, (always used RAW up until now)? Feel like a numpty!!!! In my defence m'lud, having used a dslr for a few years, changing the camera changes the way things work. Can be difficult plodding through the maze of permutations.

Sorry about the delay, lost the internet for about 4 hrs.

Regards,

P.

3 minutes ago, piprees said:

Yeh, found the folder on the c drive, it saves as fit files. Would that pose any problems with DSS, (always used RAW up until now)? Feel like a numpty!!!! In my defence m'lud, having used a dslr for a few years, changing the camera changes the way things work. Can be difficult plodding through the maze of permutations.

Sorry about the delay, lost the internet for about 4 hrs.

Regards,

P.

FITS are fine, and normal... :)

Well, after a lot of faffing about here's the first stacked image with the 1600, nothing else done to it. Only luminance and darks, 120+60, gain at 120. Had to do it with SharpCap, APT seemed to be very blurry, no idea why. I must admit I'm pretty impressed with the sensitivity and I'm sure there's a lot more info to be brought out. Changing from dslr to this is pretty challenging even if it's only changing from tried and tested ways of doing things to using something relatively expensive that has no iso settings and presents you with 'gain' and 'offset', even had a message saying 'Object reference not able to stack because object reference not set to an instance of an object', whaaat!! Anyway, getting there slowly.

P.

orion for sgl.TIF

Whoops, sorry. It should have been 120 x 30secs + 60 x 30 r.g+b.

Haven't managed to fathom out how to combine all four images yet. All suggestions gratefully received. I have Startools, paintshop pro, SharpCap, registax and gimp.

P.

Archived