SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI1600mm cool

Andyb90

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Gina said:

I think you'll find FLO have M48 to T2 adapters.

You were right Gina - they put one in the post when I ordered it yesterday morning - thanks to you and "cosmojaydee" for your help :-)

A note to anyone like me who was about to buy the 5 position electric filter wheel (EFW) from ZWO

They are about to release an 8 position EFW and a set of dedicated (to the ASI1600) narrow band filters

This is great news :-) I bought their LRGB filter set and they seem to be working great so I'm going to wait for the release of these.

Their facebook page said they'd be released at the end of October....

David

I heard about too - very interesting :)  I might well get the bigger ZWO EFW.  I shall be interested to see what the NB filters are like too.  Now if they brought out 3nm filters at a reasonable price Astrodon could have some competition :D

ZWO seem to be a very go-ahead company and "well on the ball" :)  China seems to be taking over the world...  But interesting that a Chinese company are initiating rather than just copying :)

14 hours ago, MattJenko said:

Couple of 1600 narrowband images for you in the last few weeks for me: California Nebula and IC410/405. TS60ED scope. California is an SHO image, Flaming Star a bi-colour. All 5 min nb subs.

All fantastic pictures but I'm really impressed with the California Nebula! I've never seen it captured like that - can't wait to get my nb filters to try it myself :-)

What gain setting did you use on the 5min subs?

Really well done!

David

OK

On the FLO site there are graphs relating to the ASI1600. Looking at them the optimum setting looks to be a gain of 50, beyond which FWC and DR drop drastically, while the read noise has already dropped from its max.

Now, I see people using much higher gains so I must be missing something in my understanding.

What have I missed? It'll be a little while before I can think about spending the wrong side of £1600, having just spent nearly £3k on my 130 triplet (Yeah, cheapskate I know, but couldn't justify nearly £6k on a CFF).

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

After I finished on my target last night I quickly pointed at the horsehead. this is 3 120 second subs gain 200 offset 30 at -35℃. rough process in PS.

3 x 2 minute subs LOL! fantastic ....amazing what this camera can do :-)

On 11/4/2016 at 12:01, Gina said:

ZWO seem to be a very go-ahead company and "well on the ball" :)  China seems to be taking over the world...  But interesting that a Chinese company are initiating rather than just copying :)

I have a couple of ZWO cameras, and the thing I really liked, apart from what seem to be very good products, was that when I had a problem on a Sunday with my ASI290 when I first received it, I got emails and support from Sam straight away and he couldn't have been more helpful.  When it was clear it was a faulty unit he got straight on to FLO personally and got a replacement sent out.

I think you're right, they seem to be wanting to lead the way, not chase the group.

BTW they are Chinese :thumbright:

Does anyone know if there's any possibility to screw a 1.25 filter directly on the camera somehow? And attach a T2-Canon adapter surrounding it? Or screwing the filter inside the T2-Canon adapter?
I'd like to buy a 1600MM and use it with NB filters sooner than the 8 position EFW will be available. I wouldn't mind to manually unscrew/screw a filter and I don't feel like investing in more than one filter wheel. Also, with a filter wheel I should stretch my budget more than I want this month and patience is not exactly one of my best virtues.

Thank you,

Alex

Yes, you can do that :)  The camera comes with an adaptor for a 1.25" filter which sits right on top of the sensor but still leaves thread for an adapter plus T2 extension tubes as required.  I know this works because I've done it :)

1 hour ago, moise212 said:

Does anyone know if there's any possibility to screw a 1.25 filter directly on the camera somehow? And attach a T2-Canon adapter surrounding it? Or screwing the filter inside the T2-Canon adapter?
I'd like to buy a 1600MM and use it with NB filters sooner than the 8 position EFW will be available. I wouldn't mind to manually unscrew/screw a filter and I don't feel like investing in more than one filter wheel. Also, with a filter wheel I should stretch my budget more than I want this month and patience is not exactly one of my best virtues.

Thank you,

Alex

And for those people with 2" filters you can screw one into this adapter for Canon camera's from Zwo , this is great for Ha using camera lenses if you have no filter wheel

Thank you both!

I read only about the 2" filter fitted in the adapter, also that one (or another one) allows for unmounted 36mm filters. I also believed what Gina confirmed from what I've seen in pictures, but I didn't find any written information about this.

I had to cut a thin ring from the T-adapter that came with one of my ASI120 and glued it on top of the front cap so I could place the filter and also screw an M42 lens with M42 macro tubes.

Many many thanks again!

Alex

11 hours ago, MattJenko said:

California Nebula was with unity gain, the Flaming Star is set much higher, which works better for NB I reckon.

Thanks for the info :-) I'm new to LRGB and have got good results with unity gain (is it 139?) and I'm about to get into narrow band when ZWO release their filters and 8 position EFW

Thanks again

David

Unity gain is 0, then the gain value represents steps of 0.1dB up to 600 which is 60dB.  I mostly use a gain of about 500 (50dB) and 60s exposures for narrowband DSO imaging.

2 hours ago, Filroden said:

According to the ZWO website (https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/products/usb-3-0/asi1600mm-cool/) unity (1 e-/ADU) is at a gain of 139.

That's what I thought I'd read it was - I was (when it wasn't cloudy back in 1932...) using a gain of about 70 and 30s exposures for RGB with good results

Then I took it up to 139 and 60s but couldn't really do any comparison...i.e. there wasn't a big difference in the results - but who know what the sky conditions had to do with it etc.

I'm sure there's no standard setting but having a good base like unity at 139 would be nice :-)

David

Archived