SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASI1600mm cool

Andyb90

Strange, I found using very high gain approaching or at the maximum of 600 and exposures of 60-120s works well for me for faint nebulae, and for widefield imaging.  Capturing several hundred subs and using PixInsight for processing on a fast Linux Mint desktop.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Is anyone using the 1600 with a starlight xpress filter wheel? Would I just be able to attach filter and camera together or do I need an adapter. I will also need to connect my baader mpcc. Just want to make sure I get all the right bits for the job.

Thanks,

Spill.

9 hours ago, Gina said:

Strange, I found using very high gain approaching or at the maximum of 600 and exposures of 60-120s works well for me for faint nebulae, and for widefield imaging.  Capturing several hundred subs and using PixInsight for processing on a fast Linux Mint desktop.

I'll be experimenting with high gain again soon, will come back with results and comparison. :)

1 hour ago, spillage said:

Hi

Is anyone using the 1600 with a starlight xpress filter wheel? Would I just be able to attach filter and camera together or do I need an adapter. I will also need to connect my baader mpcc. Just want to make sure I get all the right bits for the job.

Thanks,

Spill.

I'm using an SXUSB FW 5x2". The 1600 can screw directly into the filter wheel as long as you have the correctly threaded adapter attached on to that side (T2 female). This also depends on your setup and how much total spacing you need, e.g. for my setup, I needed around 60mm spacing between the 1600 and the focal reducer for my scope.

On 03/11/2017 at 13:25, sloz1664 said:

The images are very good for such a short exposure time. BTW what scope are you using?

Steve

Thanks Steve :-) I was very surprised too at just 50 mins. I used my 130PDS OTA for this (HEQ5), 5 slot manual filter wheel and a Baader 7nm Ha filter. I shot 10x5 min lights at the 'unity' gain setting and cooled the 1600 to -15. I used APT for acquisition and PHD2 (50mm finder/guider + QHY5L-IIc) for guiding. Interestingly I didn't use any darks, flats or bias either.

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:17, AlastairW said:

2nd outing with my recently purchased 1600mm-c. Very pleased with this camera so far and results with only 50mins of data. ..

I thought this camera had a lot of amp glow that needed processing out. Your images are fantastic and don't seem to show any glow. May be I am missing something..

On 02/11/2017 at 16:17, AlastairW said:

2nd outing with my recently purchased 1600mm-c. Very pleased with this camera so far and results with only 50mins of data. 

Lovely images, what scope and mount were you using to capture these with?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a test image of my new ASI1600mm pro. Yesterday during a really windy night (the roof was moving without the lock)  I did this 5 min single exposure on M45. The distance from the flattener to the sensor is close to be good (i think so).

I know the stars are overexposed but I want to know if the sensor looks like it should be.

This  image is with no darks, flats or anything at the unity gain.

The image was done with a TS 480 F6 with a 2.5 flattener on a avalon mount.

I come from a 450D so I dont know what I have to expect from the raw data :)

test bis.jpg

@Astrobug I know just how you feel. I think file organisation and attention to stacking is needed. Took me 2 days to get my stacking correct as I was just used to chucking in all the files and letting rip without reference files. Although I now need to redo my flats due to my cockup.

I'm finding coming from a dslr that these cameras are data hoovers and you really need to keep on top of it all.

Hi

I've started a thread for the ASI1600MM Pro - as opposed to the ASI1600MM Cool.

Was this a good idea? Should we look at them as two separate cameras?

Or should we fold the ASI1600MM Pro into this thread?

It might make it hard to search on is my main worry.

Please let me know.

Cheers.

Ian

6 hours ago, Astrobug said:

This is a test image of my new ASI1600mm pro. Yesterday during a really windy night (the roof was moving without the lock)  I did this 5 min single exposure on M45. The distance from the flattener to the sensor is close to be good (i think so).

I know the stars are overexposed but I want to know if the sensor looks like it should be.

This  image is with no darks, flats or anything at the unity gain.

The image was done with a TS 480 F6 with a 2.5 flattener on a avalon mount.

I come from a 450D so I dont know what I have to expect from the raw data :)

test bis.jpg

That looks fine to me.

Andy.

10 hours ago, ian_bird said:

Was this a good idea? Should we look at them as two separate cameras?

Or should we fold the ASI1600MM Pro into this thread?

It might make it hard to search on is my main worry.

This thread is a gold mine for the newcomer to this developing equipment so I'm sure people will continue to come to it and any other threads that are created for this camera.

Indeed, it may be that the Pro information is lost to the newcomer if it isn't in this thread - so there's potential for missing the opportunity to share your experience.

.....and how I wish I could afford the Pro as well LOL!

David

Archived