stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Had another go at getting the spacing right on my Imaging Star 80

Some arithmetic on the spacing and making some assumptions about the thickness of components gave me a suggested spacing of 44mm from  the end of the focuser.

The nearest I could get was 46mm, which is still a wee bit too long and there's a lot of tilt to sort out, probably with the Bahtinov mask. Oh, yes and a couple of horrendous dust spots and some localised gradients which I've tried to get rid of with flats, though not entirely successfully.

Total integration time 40min made up of 40 x 30sec and 20 x 60sec. Exposure took place as the sky was getting dark, and I think there were flecks of high cloud coming over as well, hence some of the gradients.

Markarian with flats.png

Suggestions welcome.

Hi

Nice shot. I don't know whether my unguided thread on Markarian's will help: 

The whole field is awash with light and dark areas which at first I mistook for LP. I think you'll only get those if the sky is really dark, difficult at this time of the year. Wait until it's just west of the meridian (around midnight and just on the edge of about as dark as it'll get I think) and fire away. I used 30s, but with a 760mm refractor. Your advantage is a bigger fov; more galaxies. Cheers, clear (dark) skies and good luck.

Edited by alacant

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SStanford
      Hi All,
      I had the first clear skies (for a couple of hours) since Christmas Eve yesterday so I seized the opportunity and took some snaps of what I could. Inevitably, I come back with more questions!
      I'm using APT and for some reason, the images captured are being saved as "CR2" files rather than RAW files (imaging with a Canon 450D). I can't see where to change the saved image file type in APT, what am I missing?
      The images I've posted below of Betelgeuse are the best I could get from yesterday, which are terrible! For me, just getting a reduction in star trails at 20-30 secs is quite the achievement. I'm also imaging through a scope with 660mm focal length (Achromat) on an EQ3, less than ideal until I get the right scope. 
      I notice here that just on ISO 200-800 the images seem to be extremely bright.  Is this the result of light pollution or is there something else I'm missing?
      I should also note that I'm using "Bulb mode" on APT, not sure if this has any bearing.
      ISO 200 @ 30secs:

ISO 400 @ 29 secs

ISO 800 @ 29 secs

• By Callistarus
      I'm sure this is just one of many hundreds of posts about correct spacings on here - I think I've just about got it but I need to confirm a couple of things with folks who have more experience than me on these matters.
      My scope is a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED-DS Pro - one which I'm sure anyone here is familiar with and needs little introduction. I'm using the accompanying field flattener/reducer, which requires 55mm of back focus.
      The off axis guider I plan to use is an OVL Off Axis Guider - it is thin enough that in combination with my camera I should have the required back focus provided the connecting T-adapter is thin enough.
      My camera is a Canon 550D (mod), which as far as I'm aware will occupy 46.5mm of back focus.
      My question is, what would be the best way to connect the Canon to the OAG? Puzzlingly it seems the OAG has a 42mm screw-ring on the camera side, which I don't have an adapter for. Do these exist? Are there any thin models available such that I meet my back focus requirement?
      If there are any other issues with what I'm suggesting please let me know. It's always easier to nail it first time than faff around with ordering adapters only to discover they're the wrong size.
      Cheers.
    • By Dec
      Hi,
      I am looking at introducing an OAG to my current imaging setup. I use an Atik 383l plus Atik EFW with a skywatcher aplanatic coma corrector with a 10" skywatcher Quattro.
      The obvious choice would be an Atik OAG but with only 55mm of back focus available on the coma corrector I assume I'll need a narrower OAG.
      Any help/advice would be great appreciated.

Dec
    • By elciv
      I have a revelation (GSO) coma corrector that I use on my 130 pds with a Canon 1000d. I have noticed that I am still getting some coma. My question is, do I need a spacer between the corrector and the T ring. I can't find any definite information on this but I read somewhere you need 75mm between the rear element and the camera sensor
    • By cosmojaydee
      Hi , could anybody confirm that I have the spacing correctly set for the Esprit ED80
      Thankyou 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.