Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at Jupiter

WonderStar

Hi all, as the title says this is my first proper attempt at Jupiter.
Think the focus isn't that great plus light pollution doesn't help but nonetheless I'm happy with it

Kit used: Skywatcher 80 ED Pro on a Skywatcher EQ 5 Pro mount. Philips Toucam PCVC840K PCVC 840K flashed to  SPC900NC Sharpcap and processed in RegiStax. :-) jup 26.04.bmp

Try getting vids at different exposures and gains to see what best suits the conditions and be careful not to over expose the planet. Also don't go over 10fps with that cam it'll compress the information (it's USB 1.1). Great first start though, all I got was a red blob. Are you using an IR cut filter?

15 minutes ago, cuivenion said:

Try getting vids at different exposures and gains to see what best suits the conditions and be careful not to over expose the planet. Also don't go over 10fps with that cam it'll compress the information (it's USB 1.1). Great first start though, all I got was a red blob. Are you using an IR cut filter?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. No filters used, should I get one?

Yes definitely, an ir cut filter will help you get sharper images especially with a refractor. Infra red and visible light don't come into focus at the same point when coming through lenses (barlows, reducers, refractor objectives) and this can lead to a slight blurring of the image. I use one that came with my camera so I'm afraid I wouldn't know what brand to recommend. When I was using a webcam I bought a 1.25" M12 adapter with one built in and that seemed to work ok:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webcam-Adaptor-to-Fit-1-25-Eyepiece-Tube-Holder-with-Built-in-Filter-BNC-Sale-/371499713048?hash=item567f1bc218:m:mnJ_Awj2-z9jwiPLUERdtFg

I got mine from Sky's The Limit but they don't seem to stock them anymore.

Archived