Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

AlistairW

Photoshop colour management

Hello,

My PC has 3 displays, so I bought a Spyder5 monitor calibrator and calibrated the colour for all my monitors, so I now have a custom colour profiles. My question is that in Photoshop under Colour Setting for the Workspace should I still use Adobe RGB or one of the monitor profiles (i.e. monitor 1) ?

Thanks

Alistair. 

I have a Spyder 2 (how old does that make me).  My understanding is that you work in the PS colour space of ProPhoto, Adobe RGB or sRGB.  I used to have PS set to ProPhoto, but a recent trip to the Alps to consult with the Ollycle left me questioning this, and I am now an sRGB man.  Not sure what I should do when printing though, so I will follow this thread with interest.    

Use the calibration that you have created.  AdobeRGB will most likely have a larger Gamut than your monitor can reproduce.  sRGB is a generic catch all profile .  Same with the printer calibration - set the Let Photoshop manage colours use the printer profile that you have recently calibrated

--

Mark

The profile you created should be better but I went through this scenario a few years ago I even borrowed a spectral photometer from work to calibrate my monitor but the results where not brilliant compared to a proper research grade CRT in the end I was always chasing the colour space between scanner/camera/monitor and printer until I saw a basic HP printer with no colour space calibration producing far better results with default settings after that I gave up.

Alan

I found that working in Adobe RGB gave me a beautiful gamut, perceptibly better in the reds than sRGB, but then it left me with the problem of re-working the colour in order to publish either in print or on the net. Rather reluctantly I decided to stick with sRGB. I'm not properly informed on any of this, it's just what I've found by talking to people and experimenting. If anyone has proper expertise I'm all ears.

Olly

I know I'm like a stuck record on this but very few web browsers properly handle colour spaces .. the majority tend to produce a more "vibrant" image...

I won't paste the comparison pics again as they are already in a couple of threads on here...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/255096-monitortv-calibration/?do=findComment&comment=2786107

Peter...

• Like 2

I do some work in publishing. I've got used to the garish and horrible colour of the pdf proofs and learnt to trust the retoucher!

3 hours ago, PBS said:

I know I'm like a stuck record on this but very few web browsers properly handle colour spaces .. the majority tend to produce a more "vibrant" image...

I won't paste the comparison pics again as they are already in a couple of threads on here...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/255096-monitortv-calibration/?do=findComment&comment=2786107

Peter...

Link won't work for me, Peter.

Olly

OK ... lets try the old  fashioned cut and paste jobbie then...

It's worth bearing in mind no matter how fancy the setup you use your best efforts especially if they are displayed online can be undone by the browser people are using to display the images...

I use a Dell Ultrasharp 30 bit monitor with hardware calibration  and 30 bit GPU... here's a screen grab of the same printer/monitor test image displayed simultaneously side by side  in Edge and Chrome... (Chrome gives the "faithful" reproduction and Edge/IE give it a "boost")

Microsoft Edge Browser (Over saturated)  v  Google Chrome (pretty much the same as Adobe CC)

Edge%20v%20Chrome.jpg

Peter...

Looks like you click on the "snippet" rather than the link these days...

Thanks Peter for this link.  Very interesting.  Is it your view that we should be using Adobe RGB in PS or sRGB?

Steve

I now just make sure the monitor and scanner/printer is set to the same space as my DSLR which is sRGB but no idea which is best.

Alan