SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cygnus , Cepheus before dawn.

cotterless45

Up and out at 1.30 and packed in at 4. Bright Moon , but the six foot fence that surrounds my observing area cut out direct light. Looking in the opposite area to the glare and up around the zenith helps.
Mars and Saturn were wobbly.  South is over the town. The whole of Cygnus was up with Vega at the zenith when I packed in. Time to visit some old favourites.
I checked M 51 before kick off, both bright cores were there in the C6r, so worthwhile staying out.

M27 presented it's bright dumbbell shape  and there was a pleasant glow from the globular M56. I caught the planetary nebulae blinking well here,
NGC 7008( " foetus"),NGC 6905 ("blue flash"), NGC 6826 ("blinking") and the bright NGC 7027 (+9). Then a scan around Cygnus for M39, M29,NGC 6910 ("rocking horse") and the clusters NGC 7128,NGC 7063, NGC 6866 and NGC 7082. 

Had a shot at M52 in Cassiopeia and the sparkly NGC 7789. Noticed the house shape of Cepheus high in the north. One of my favourites and packed with targets.
The Garnet Star (μ) looked bright deep orange.This star has a diameter of 24 billion miles and would encompass Jupiter's orbit if it replaced our Sun. 
Alfirk looked lovely at x50, a blue giant with a companion, looked white and green. Best sight here being Σ2816, a white star between a green and violet. The closest binary , Kruger 60 wouldn't split at 1.4", the seeing was not impressive.
Got going on some clusters here, Berk 94 , King 18, King 10 and King 19, before returning to,NGC 7160, NGC 6939 and the most distant "Ancient One". This is 6 Billion years old and 1800 light years from the galactic plane.

A really pleasing session, with our poorish weather it's best to just grab any opportunity to observe. A lovely preview of summer goodies,
Clear skies !
Nick.

Observing head like a sieve full of straw. Forgot to include my first sighting of M11 ( " wild duck") this year in Scutum. Although low, it looked like a glorious huge globular with a bright field star and the double to one side. Can hardly wait to be spending time on this most gorgeous open cluster . Not long before the Swan nebula arrives either,

Nick.

Cracking effort getting out at those hours! Although I'm looking forwards to the summer treats, I find life is a bit too hectic to go without a good night sleep, and I may wait until the summer constellations are placed for viewing at more sociable hours. Cygnus was flapping frantically along the northern horizon trying to get airborn last time I was out. Lovely report as always and some great targets to look forwards to.

On 26 April 2016 at 20:23, cotterless45 said:

Observing head like a sieve full of straw. Forgot to include my first sighting of M11 ( " wild duck") this year in Scutum. Although low, it looked like a glorious huge globular with a bright field star and the double to one side. Can hardly wait to be spending time on this most gorgeous open cluster . Not long before the Swan nebula arrives either,

Nick.

Indeed!!  Now I'm looking forward to putting the big glass on the Wild Duck this season.  Being so low the 80mm just doesn't do it justice at all.  And the Swan is s smasher!

Archived