Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Winjupos RGB images

Pete Presland

Hi all, I have been spending the last couple of weeks trying out Winjupos for de-rotating and combing my RGB images (thanks Neil). The data looked reasonable from the 19th, so I have played the most.

Below are the 3 RGB channels and the combined image. The RGB's were 150 second SER files, stacked in A/S2, wavelets in Reg6, then to Winjupos for measurement and combining. I have done no processing after combining. Still can not help thinking there is much more detail to be got out of the data though.

red.pngred channel

green.pnggreen channel

blue.pngblue channel

Jupiter.RGB.pngRGB combined in WINJUPOS

My current workflow is as follows. Capture SER files via Firecapture. Stack using A/S2. Sharpen with Reg6. Then off to Winjupos. I don't to do much after Winjupos. 

Am I sharpening at the wrong place maybe? Also this image I stacked 15% of the 150 second SER files, approx 900 frames.

1 hour ago, bunnygod1 said:

My current workflow is as follows. Capture SER files via Firecapture. Stack using A/S2. Sharpen with Reg6. Then off to Winjupos. I don't to do much after Winjupos. 

Am I sharpening at the wrong place maybe? Also this image I stacked 15% of the 150 second SER files, approx 900 frames.

Its individual to everyone. But notice even when you sharpen before winjupos combine.  it comes out smoother after.  so often can afford bringing out the detail more once combined The colour often needs tweaking too,

Big improvement you should be pleased

This poor weather is good for one thing at least!

Another go at the same A/S2 stacked data. This time I used a different technique in Reg6 which I think looks better. Instead of using the Linear Wavelet scheme, I used the Dyadic (2^n) scheme. I only adjusted the 1st and 2nd layers. The first I adjusted to max 100, the 2nd to 75. Then I applied Denoise to 20 until it looked acceptable.

Then combined in Winjupos as before, still not 100% happy with the blue/blurry look to the right hand limb, but another improvement. As always very happy to receive comments positeive or not.

jup dyadic copy.png

Dyadic is smoother and bolder, with darker contrast, but you can lose very fine detail. that's the downside

I used dyadic a lot from times gone by. Now I don't use it a lot, it can oversmooth fine detail. I differ in preferring the first. Not as contrasty, but less oversmoothed. and bloated detail, more finer looking.

Everyone has there own take. And different images can respond differently, But In time you may notice how much dyadic oversmooths fine detail. it actually blurs and bloats it. But does so with more apparent contrast detail Pete

As is seen here. it initially is more impressive. But soon wears thin, because of its downsides

Notice how a lot of the details are slightly blurred compared to this your second linear image

Easier to see the dark material on your dyadic for sure, but at a cost of thickening

You may not agree. Everyone has there own take. I also adjusted colour which looks a bit truer to my eyes

But the best way is to experiment for yourself, though that can take a lot of time to realize what you think you actually really like

But its the best way to learn.

pete.png

Having opened all three images on my laptop and stared critically at them for a period of time, once again Neil I agree you are correct. :icon_biggrin::crybaby2::icon_biggrin: There is indeed an element of bloating with the Dyadic image, like you say even though the contrast is better. Back to experimenting again I think, at least it keeps me busy during this poor weather!

Thanks for all the comments, I will be back  :icon_biggrin:

14 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Having opened all three images on my laptop and stared critically at them for a period of time, once again Neil I agree you are correct. :icon_biggrin::crybaby2::icon_biggrin: There is indeed an element of bloating with the Dyadic image, like you say even though the contrast is better. Back to experimenting again I think, at least it keeps me busy during this poor weather!

Thanks for all the comments, I will be back  :icon_biggrin:

Don't get me wrong Peter there are times dyadic can be useful. like for example high focal length weaker signals it tends to work better. But if you think about it. It would. Those types of images often need more contrast are often washed out. Using dyadic to its strengths rather than weaknesses. I think I am trying to say.

But often good quality data will produce much finer detail in linear. Some people don't like dyadic full stop. But even those may have got some benefit from it with certain images perhaps.

well I know I have. Even doing what you just did is training your eye. Its what I mean by teaching yourself. But it doesn't hurt to learn from others a little. if the info is valid. Which I hope sometimes mine is. I still look at everything like i know nothing. And try to learn more from others too.

Catch your last few shots peter. Jup is going. Do what you did here again. Your most certainly going up a level  these images prove it.

Its great to see someone finding there feet. Exciting really

Archived