SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starting summers observatory project

Magnus_e

Getting closer.... :)

Lately I have been wiring things up, and testing / making startup scripts. I now have a script for the KStars client desktop that I can start with parameters if it should use 'production' or 'simulated' drivers, 'verbose' or 'silent', and how many servers to chain. So a normal command to start INDI on my ODROID and RaspberryPi, with production drivers and no terminal output would be 'kstars-start-indi prod silent 2". This also reads the "connect mapping" of my roof / power driver on the RasPi and powers on devices before indiserver on the ODROID starts. So from only having the servers and network powered on, the mount, camera, etc powers on ready to connect.

I also figured out that I had no plan for a dust cap and automated bias - dark - flat frames. There is one top notch automated dust cap with built in flat light and INDI support out there, but not in my budget at the moment. Solution make a cheap "Dark Cap" and get a external light source. So then I had to make a driver for it, dubbed INDI ServoBlaster Cap with the possibility to operate and calibrate a servo for cap motion, and trigger a light source for flats. When that was done I realized that the option in Ekos for automated flats involved closing the cap to use the built in light in FlatCap. Yesterday I submitted a update in Ekos to support DarkCap with external lightsource . It was accepted in to Ekos, so time to build a Cap.

The cap is the cheapest part of my observatory, as I built it from old no longer used parts. This includes a old Futaba servo 's3050', a lid to keep dust out of the unused fan spaces in my PC cabinet that now serves as the dust cap. Misc peaces like a helicopter tail rotor link, a old hinge from a box, and a unknown peace of metal is now the mechanics for opening and closing the lid. It looks a bit "big", but it's quite lightweight I also ordered a low priced A4 dimmable LED tracing pad

Now it's time to get the paneling and painting ready, so I can install it on the balcony. If I remember correctly this Monday 22th Aug is the first true nightfall since 22th April :hello2:

Some pictures of the creation, and very short video = 16sec.

DSC_0330.JPGDSC_0325.JPG

• Like 1

Not much progress the last days, but after a trip to the hardware store today I now have all the paneling I need, and a roll of thin plastic sheet to keep the moisture out.

My plan for now on moisture is to keep it from seeping in trough the panel with the plastic sheet, and the use a combination of a heater and a fan to get the moist air out after a session. I will have to test out different methods, but if I run both the heater and fan for about 2 hours after a session, and then leave the heater on for another two hours? If I do that I will get the moisture out without razing the heat to fast. If I just heat it up rapidly I will only end up with condensation.

Jasem on the indilib forum let me add a DIY howto on building the dustcap and installing / calibrating the driver on indilib.org's tutorial page. Could be useful if you want a cheap dust cover on your remote obsy :) 

It's a shame to have my gear in the garage today, as it's a clear night. Had to take a 180 deg panorama to show off the darkness!! The biggest cluster of lights slightly to the left of the center in the image is ~6.5Km away. Only dark saltwater between me and it, and for miles after it! The landscape is also very flat here, so not a lot of room for buildings and light ;)

nattpanorama.JPG

• Like 1

Saturday was spent cutting all the lengths of panel, and finally connecting and testing the roof!

To my relief the linear actuators did not seem to struggle at all. I could not open the roof 100% as it would hit the garage roof, but I tried to shake it around on it's highest point and it seamed rather solid :) I have some vapour barrier that I will use to waterproof the walls and roof, that will be wrapped to the framing under the panel. However a friend of mine was sure I needed some type of roofing felt on the outside of the roof. Not sure if I can do that as my local supplier only has it in large rolls costing the equivalent of a 110£ :crybaby2:

I guess I could by a cheap tube of silicon seal to cover the joining of the roof panel. If it's a large amount of water it would run of to the sides anyway, and with the vapour barrier underneath the panel I should be good to go? Would like to know what others have experienced when it comes to waterproofing a roof :)

Some pictures of the roof with the overlapping panel. Hopefully next update will be a bull automation test of the completed obsy :)

DSC_0368.JPGDSC_0369.JPGDSC_0370.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new milestone for the observatory :)

Yesterday I tested everything when it comes to drivers. I completed several test composing of unparking the roof, slewing to multiple positions, taking exposures with the Canon 550d, and Orion Star Shot Autoguider, and then parking everything up.

And the real milestone was when I repeated everything today remotely. I had my dad as a backup, overseeing what was going on, but I also had a nice view over the session with my dlink ip camera.

I have also completed hanging most of the cladding, and cut the rest of it. So getting closer, still paint and outdoor install....

Must say I'm happily pleased with how good of a view I had with the ip camera remotely. I was expecting it to lag more, and that it would not be as sharp.

For those of you as geeky as I, and there hopefully is some... The Systems Check video :)

• Like 1

Magnus I've been following your progress rather quietly here but now is the time to say  "Wow" :hello2:  That is an enviable remote observatory, it reflects well on your hard work, congratulations.  Are there any significant hurdles to overcome before you are ready to position it and start commissioning?

Jim

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gonzo said:

oh yeah, I do like this a lot. Nice work there Magnus.

47 minutes ago, saac said:

Magnus I've been following your progress rather quietly here but now is the time to say  "Wow" :hello2:  That is an enviable remote observatory, it reflects well on your hard work, congratulations.  Are there any significant hurdles to overcome before you are ready to position it and start commissioning?

Jim

Thanks.

Only thing(s) left to do is to cut 100mm ID holes for the inn and out vents, and wire the vent fan. Then attach the paneling to the roof with some plastic sheeting underneath the panel to stop water soaking in. And last some paint. Have a couple spray cans of mat black that will go on the inside, and some white paint on the outside.

Eventually I will need a weather station, a all-sky cam, mount the flat-field lightsource, a ccd.... :) But as it is now it is a huge improvement to setting up every night and the dreaded teardown early in the morning. Always room for upgrades.

magnus I can well understand what you mean by the improvement on "setting up and the dreaded teardown" - you now no longer have to worry about that:icon_biggrin:  Good luck with the remaining work - can't wait to see it installed.

Jim

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Magnus, I use http://www.indilib.org/develop/arduino/meteostation.html for my weather station. It's simple and works great.

That looked great!

Just wondering, what audrino would one use. Would any do? Also, it was not mentioned how to mount the sensors. Would the sensors need to be out of the rain?

Build stage done :)

This weekend's progress was finishing the roof and paneling. Also updated the CAD with all the correct measurements, so here it is if anyone would like to build it, use it as a starting point or collect some tips. https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=c464d310-53c9-47ef-abd8-a674c09fdf4a

I'm also really happy that the completed roof works. I was getting a little worried aboult weight, but it looks like this will hold up well. To prevent moisture getting in, I gift wrapped the roof in vapour barrier. It's the same stuff Ill add to the rest of the build on install day. Just need to paint it, and install it.

I have also done some more remote testing of the obsy in the garage. It just works... Have not found any issues so far, hope that continues :)

DSC_0415.JPGDSC_0421.JPGDSC_0435.JPG

• Like 1

I see you have a vent in the lower part there, I've added a solar vent at the top 92107_lg.jpg.

This works well on direct sun light, not so much in normal day light and less in winter... maybe the battery within could be changed for something bigger.

Don't try to make the box 100% air-tight, as long as the lid seals (when in close position, does it seat correctly?) it's good enough (well, the box needs to be water resistant.... lol).

A good ventilation, in - out air flow, is enough to fight any dew or moisture within the box. Mine has been up in the weather from hot summers to full on snowed under winters and apart from one (builder design error...) issue it has been holding 100% against the weather.

• Like 1

Hi Gonzo.

I have a second vent and a duct fan (not installed yet). I will install it on the back doubble wall where there is room for the fan, and Ill mount it high in the obsy to get good air flow.

The fan is this type.

It's 220v, so have to be carefull when installing it. Dont want any short circuts. I have all my relays in IP65 boxes, even though I hope it will be dry inside.

DSC_0384.JPG

Forgot to add something, once your box is completed, take it outside without the scope (as in only the box) close it and leave it out there a few days. Let it get all wet, washed down etc... and then inspect for leaks....

Just now, Gonzo said:

Forgot to add something, once your box is completed, take it outside without the scope (as in only the box) close it and leave it out there a few days. Let it get all wet, washed down etc... and then inspect for leaks....

Sounds like a good idea.

Just wondering what a good shedual for the fan would bee? Should I have it on 24/7, or perhaps for a couple hours after the roof has been open for a imaging session?

If it's on 24/7 it might drav inn the moist air from outside, or do you think the air flow will dry it out?

ah yeah, here's another thing for you, (hope you don't mind giving you tips based on my experience), the wood I see you are using doesn't appear to be treated as such (I know you're going to paint it) but it will shrink slightly over the course of months of sun exposure (wet, dry, hot, cold cycle). I had to use sealant to block off the exposed gaps...

The solar vent I used (yes, I said used as I have taken down my observatory now... the box has been recycled, I will open a new post soon... for version 2), was running whenever the sun was hitting and running off the battery.

I wanted to be able to control it but I had no time when I installed it, so it's been running just like that... 0 moisture in the box !!!!! not even dew on any metal parts within. Bone dry.

ah yeah and the spiders.... they loved my box...

I do not mind the tips, they are most welcome :)

I hope the vapor barrier will leave the inside dry even if there are some openings. I have been meaning to seal the joins between the panel laying flat on the roof before I paint.

The panel is only primed, but the konstructional wood is treated.

Did not think about spiders....

15 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

As I said, once it's done, stick it outside and leave it there untouched for a few days (even a few weeks)... stars are not going away any time soon ;) see how the box behave.

Thanks for the tip. I am getting a bit impatient as the nights are getting dark, but I guess a couple weeks to or from won't matter in the long run.

No point in making mistakes by rushing the last part :)

29 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

The solar vent I used (yes, I said used as I have taken down my observatory now... the box has been recycled, I will open a new post soon... for version 2), was running whenever the sun was hitting and running off the battery.

I wanted to be able to control it but I had no time when I installed it, so it's been running just like that... 0 moisture in the box !!!!! not even dew on any metal parts within. Bone dry.

ah yeah and the spiders.... they loved my box...

Sorry to hear about the recycling, but I'm sure your next project will be even better. And more manageble across countries.

I'm reading this thread again from the start and saw you mentioned about polar alignment, I highly recommend that you give Themos polar align tool a go https://github.com/ThemosTsikas/PhotoPolarAlign

I was involved in the first version of this tool then it got moved over to python, it's very easy to use and accurate. Like me, in my box you can't get in and look through the polarscope...