Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LinuxAstro.org Launches...

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know about a new website I've started. http://www.LinuxAstro.org is a wiki based site to allow people interested in working scopes using Linux software.

Theres not much there as yet. It is my hope that we can use this website to build a site which will become a very useful resource for those wishing to move away from the instability of Windows for controlling Astronomical equipment.

Registration is free, and once registered, anyone can add to the information.

Thanks,

Richie

Dangermouse - me to!

I have a dream... I want to be able to use the power of the *nix way of doing things to build modules which do 1 job, and do it well.

For example:

Imagine sitting a small, low power PC permanently next to your telescope. On that system are a series of modules. One talks to the mount, and accepts guiding commands via TCPIP, One talks receives images from a guidescope, one compares images received with the previous images, and talks to the mount controller to reposition the scope. Each module can then be remotely controlled from anywhere, on a browser, or over X, or even from the command line.

Most of it is there - its just a case of joining it together, and sharing that information - hence the site....

As for links, of course, if you know of something that needs adding, and could benefit others then please feel free to add it.

I don't want this to be a site written by me, I want to use it as a platform to learn from others experiences in making Linux work, and pass my experiences on to others.

I have a duel boot Ubuntu/Windows machine next to my scope right now, and already have discovered that Kstars (which is my favourite planetarium by FAR - even on windows) quite easily interfaces with my scope very easily.

Stellarium, for example, already has a TCPIP listener for the LX mount, the trick is just learning how to tie all these items together.

I'd love to see an area of SGL devoted to Linux as well for discussions, etc.... The wiki is just a place to dump and develop ideas, links, documentation, and hopefully the missing 'glue' software if this adventure takes off....

As for the EEE - well, thats pretty easy - its just a small PC like I mentioned above... How about just an old PIII though? If you aren't using the control PC for graphics, then it doesn't need gobs of RAM, or fancy graphics cards to make it do a good job... How about liberating those old PC's, which, lets face it, already have the required COM interfaces and a couple of USB ports?

So how many other Linux Astronomers are there out there?

Cheers,

Richie

Hey Richie,

Well done! I like the idea of re-purposing old low power PC's like this. I'd like to add a link to your wiki from our site www.hantsastro.org, and perhaps later do some editorial for our eZine.

We could try a Linux set up out at one of our astrophotography sessions.

I have a 'spare' Toughbook 366Mhz Pentium II with 192Mb Ram, with a touchscreen... would that do for a field-test?

Love the name by the way :grin:

David

Archived