Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Upgrading from SCT to something else

Hi

I'm exploring the possibilities of getting a new scope. My 6" SCT is quite limiting. At f/10 reduced to f/6.3, it's still a big ask for it to image anything longer than 4 minutes even with PHD working flat out. 

So, the question is what next? I've got the Advanced VX mount which i'm happy with (despite it's backlash - but I'm not ready to mess with gears yet and can't justify a new mount). 

Scope wise - I've read that the 80ED is a very good scope for starting out. (Am I still a beginner after a year? :) ) However its still f/7, which I can reduce to f/6.3... but would this be a better f/6.3 than my current f/6.3 SCT? I don't know...

Or, do I go down the Newt route and go for an f/5 130 or 150 PDS? 

Or, could spend a good deal more on the 80ED Triplet for £900... thats f/5.

My camera is the Atik 414EX Mono with filter wheel. 

Cheers

Joe 

The ED 80 with reducer comes out at F/6.375, which is the same speed as the C6 with reducer, but at the much shorter focal length will be way easier to guide. I have an APM 80mm F/6 triplet (sold under various brand names) with a TRF-2008 0.8x reducer from Tele-Vue. That gives a very useful F/4.8.

Archived