Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

filter wheel or colour ccd

iwols

Hi All just a quick question ,after slight success with Jupiter with c8 and a qhy5 ii l mono camera im looking to add a bit of colour to things,is a filter wheel or a bit better colour camera thé best option thanks

Should be more sensitive than a DSLR if you use a mono camera - but I can't talk from experience - still not had a chance to text my Atik out yet!

I bought a second-hand Brightstar filter wheel on these very pages - but can still be had from Modern Astronomy

http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/filters-wheels/filter-wheels/brightstar/manual-filter-wheel-5-x-1-25/

It's nice and solid, seems very good for the money - I think FLO do one for about £75 too - and I think you can get a basic set of filters for about the same price.

I would avoid a manual filterwheel as touching the scope will make it wobble needed time to settle again, and risk focus shift where as an electronic wheel does not do these things.

If you are thinking of Jupiter specifically will you be able to get what you want from a mono and filter wheel?

The combination is likely OK and the best way to go on just about everything other then Jupiter. Jupiter rotates fast and by the time you have sufficent images at each of the colours it will have rotated round a bit. Getting something at all 3 colours takes time and with Jupiter you do not generally have much time.

Just thinking along the lines that if the GRS has rotated a quarter of the diameter around you are not going to stack it and get anything sharp. Same applies to the belts as well.

Starlight Xpress USB filterwheel, using it for years now, without any problems.
One of the nice features is that more internal wheels are available for different filtersizes.
Powered and commanded by USB, so not yet another power wire.

With the eye on the future, maybe you should think about buying the 2" versions of wheel as well as filters, no vignetting problems with larger size sensors like APC-c or even full frame.

There are many filters on the market, but I would go for Baader or Astronomik. Not cheap, but well worth the money and basically indestructible.
They last a lifetime and won't get damaged, even if you drop them in the sand.

The downside is the price, though...

edit: if you want to go for an OSC camera, look for one with very small pixels, so you can have high resolution images.
QHY has very nice CMOS cameras like the QHY5P-II-C : 2,2 micron pixels  with the Bayer matrix (2 x 2 pix), that will give you the same resolution as a 4,4 micron pixel mono camera...

Archived