SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ EQ6 vs NEQ6

Colinlp

I think I will be buying a mount later in the year as part of my master plan to try my hand at some deep sky imaging. Is there any advantage in buying the AZEQ6 over the standard NEQ6 given that it would never be used as an altAz mount?

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AZEQ6 is lighter, quieter, and you get rid of the bendy bolts.

It is an improvement on the NEQ6, where ever you look.

Resale value will be higher, and its easier to sell.

35 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Why wouldn't you use it in Alt Az mode? It makes for very sociable viewing sessions

Because I'm an anti social sod! :icon_biggrin: Seriously my main scope is a CPC1100 fork mount permanently set up in the obsy so I doubt I would need another alt az.

The fact that the AZ is lighter is alone a huge bonus

It's only a kilogram lighter - but the big benefit is the AZEQ6 is better engineered and doesn't require the mods needed for using the NEQ6 at latitudes above 53oN. And it gives you the option of mounting two scopes in alt/az mode if you might ever like the idea (eg two solar scopes or dual imaging scopes, outreach presentations, etc). The imagination is endless....

That said - if tarted up nicely - the NEQ6 is a great mount that will last for many years - it's been very popular for a very long time. :)

Setting aside the option of alt-az operation (which won't be of huge interest to many people but may appeal to some) the AZEQ6 has advantages. 1) The bendy bolt thing is gone. 2) The dodgy power cable into the motherboard is gone. At the first failure this will save you about 150 Euros. 3) You have belt primary drive.

I like these mounts but would buy the AZEQ every time. I have a couple of the NEQ6 versions and like them but I think the new one is an honest improvement.

Olly

I've got both & while the NEQ6 has been a good mount & will be set up permanently in the observatory when it's built, the GT is better & will be used at star parties & outreach events so definitely a win win for me.
I had the NEQ6 from new & just by fitting the head one of the bolts started to bend as I adjusted it so brought the upgraded set right away, it had loads of play in the RA so I adjusted that & then the power socket started to fail so I ended up modifying mine for the 2 pin version. since then it's been great although it was a bit of a love hate relationship from the beginning.
The GT however is in a different league although it had a small amount of play in the RA which I have since adjusted , that's it although it worked fine anyway as is I've managed to use it in both modes & after user error on my account first time round in AZ mode it works great. especially when using a 10" Newtonian as gone is the daft head position you need to look through the eyepiece when in EQ mode.
Annoyingly I brought my NEQ6 a few months before the GT came out & wished I'd waited a bit longer but impatience got the better of me.

Excellent input, many thanks for that. It looks like between bendy bolts, belt drive, dodgy power sockets and less play the AZ it the one to have on the shopping list.

Another question, probably irrelevant to me but you never know: how does the AZ differ from the NEQ with the option to hold two scopes?

My AZ EQ 6 when put into Alt Az configuration allows me to put my 9.25" SCT on the saddle and currently my second scope a SW 130 PDS on another saddle (which comes in the box) on the end of the counterweight bar. My neighbour makes machine gun noises when he sees it and thinks he is behind an anti aircraft gun set up. It then runs as a dual scope alt az observing set up. The second saddle has fine adjusters to allow you to align the view in both scopes. I did need to shim the dovetail as well though on my 130 to get perfect alignment.

i have also imaged the Sun this week in this mode:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

The AZ works beautifully carrying two scopes, you just have an additional saddle that fits  at the end of the CW shaft. I loved mine, and will buy another when finances permit.

image.jpeg

Does the dual mount only really work in Altaz mode? My motivation for buying one would be purely based on having a go at deep sky imaging. Although thinking about it I don't suppose it would be a huge leap to de fork the CPC and put the OTA on the AZ and switch between scopes as needs require, then I guess the Altaz mode might be used for visual. As you can tell I haven't given this a lot of serious thought yet, I'm convinced though that the AZ would be the better choice for me and worth buying whatever direction I end up.

It does sound a bit vague at the moment and it is, I'm hoping to put together an early retirement in a few years albeit with very limited means so getting kitted out for a hobby while I can still afford it is my goal.

I had exactly the same dilemma a few weeks ago, a good quality second hand AZ will set you back roughly the same amount as a new  NEQ, and I would always choose the AZ due to better build quality, recent upgrades to the mount after reviewing the NEQ shortfalls and it also runs EQMOD.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this nor how useful it would be to you but the AZ also has rotary encoders on both axis allowing you to manually move the mount without losing positioning data.  My AZ is the observatory and at the moment has not been used in Alt Az configuration but it was a feature I considered when buying (outreach/use at school etc).  I only bought the head though so I'll need to pick up a suitable tripod along the way.  I think it's a great mount, well built but I'm nowhere near making full use of its capability.

Jim

I am considering the AZ-EQ6 GT as I have come to the conclusion that I am completely hopeless at finding things manually and often find myself cutting sessions short due to the frustration of not knowing what is up there or where to look. I have tried, honest I have, but it's time to admit that I need GOTO to really enjoy a long session in the cold.

My only reservation is in relation to set-up. My CPC1100 always remembers where it is and what date and time it is. Does the SynScan on the AZ do the same or will I have to go through the whole set-up procedure every time I want to use it?

13 minutes ago, DRT said:

I am considering the AZ-EQ6 GT as I have come to the conclusion that I am completely hopeless at finding things manually and often find myself cutting sessions short due to the frustration of not knowing what is up there or where to look. I have tried, honest I have, but it's time to admit that I need GOTO to really enjoy a long session in the cold.

My only reservation is in relation to set-up. My CPC1100 always remembers where it is and what date and time it is. Does the SynScan on the AZ do the same or will I have to go through the whole set-up procedure every time I want to use it?

Pretty sure it remembers it Derek but it's really not too tricky to setup. If you start it from an accurate parked position it generally finds the first alignment star well. I can only recommend that you do it, I'm sure you won't regret it.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

If you start it from an accurate parked position it generally finds the first alignment star well.

Does that mean it has some sort of auto-alignment? (i.e. I can be really lazy and let it do the work?)

22 minutes ago, DRT said:

Does that mean it has some sort of auto-alignment? (i.e. I can be really lazy and let it do the work?)

No, not as such, but if you start it from an accurate park position then alignment is pretty simple and quick. If I remember correctly, I sometimes would just align as I went along ie find the first target, whatever it was, align in that then it would track accurately enough for visual. I used SkySafari with it which makes life very easy.

1 hour ago, DRT said:

I am lousy at the night sky positions. So agree with your thinking. Why spoil an enjoyable hobby and maybe be put off , possibly  quit due to frustration, for the sake of not getting GOTO. What ever makes you happy. If you get better at  finding your way around over time then all the better. Heck I can find the Moon now!

Derek

I'm like you guys, hopeless at finding my way around the sky. I tried learning from books and observing but I was simply rubbish (poor eyesight and seeing didn't help)

But since I had my AZEQ6 I learnt way more. Because it points at it, it says "here it is dummy". Then the books start to help, knowing which constellation it's in you learn much quicker

it's a great teacher because it quietly points and doesn't tell me how dumb I am

i can also highly recommend EQMOD also. 

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I can only recommend that you do it, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Stu, thanks for your recommendation and advice. When it arrives on Wednesday my wife will call me asking why there are two enormous boxes at the door and I will be blaming you :wink:  :lol:

Sorry folks, I'm quite certain this puts the kibosh on the Mercury transit for anyone within a 200 mile radius of my house :sad:

• 1 year later...

I have owned an AZ-EQ6 for a few years now, so I can offer an opinion based on the long term use of this mount.

The Good

The overall build quality of this mount is good, my first one had quality control issues (as can happen with any mount you might buy), but luckilly I bought from the fantastic FLO who replaced it ASAP without fuss.

It handles my 6"RC imaging set up without issue and once running guides for imaging at under 1 arcsec/pixel consistantly, running up to 20 minute guided subs. The design to allow both an EQ & AZ set up is novel for those that might utilise both options.

The Indifferent

The mount has developed a not insignificant amount of backlash in Dec over time, not a disaster, but certainly needs to be managed carefully when setting up to image for the night. Once running this does not seem to effect the performance of the mount significantly.

The Bad

The very unique design mechanism that allows the alternate EQ & AZ methods of use on this mount is it's ultimate downfall for me. The mechanism is simply not robust enough to maintain an accuate polar alignment over the course of a couple of months or even weeks. The hand tightened nuts are not able to lock down the RA axis to hold it in place for any length of time. For me, this has been a real issue. I can only see polaris from my back garden imaging location for about 4 months a year, and need my polar alignment to last the other 8 months without shifting, until I can re-check my polar alignment in autumn when the leaves have dropped from the trees that obscure my view.

To try to remedy this, I have replaced the hand tightened nuts and spongey plastic washers with M12 nylock nuts and penny washers. These can be done up tightly with a spanner to lock the RA axis down in place. Thas has improved the performance, but is still far from perfect, or ideal.

IMG_0971.thumb.JPG.eb49f236c550d55d04b4321ed307f5d4.JPG

Of course, for those who set up and tear down nightly or on mobile imaging rigs at a dark site this is not an issue as their polar alignment only needs to last the evening (or two), but for those who might seek to put this mount in an observatory on a permanent basis, or a semi permanent pier set up like mine, I would avoid this mount.

Simarly if you have no plans to use the AZ mode and use for EQ only, as I do, then simarly I would not recommend this mount. The AZ to EQ switching mechanism is just introducing an achilles heel that can be eliminated by chosing the simarly priced EQ6R, or the cheaper NEQ6, both of which will perform to the same standard.

I hope my observations are of use. :)

John

Archived