SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A personal tribute to RobH

ollypenrice

Rob's decided to move away from DS imaging and some very tasty and well-proven kit is up for sale in the classifieds.

But what I want to say is that he gave us some of the best images ever posted on SGL. They were accompanied by informative and entertaning write-ups and Rob was generous and open in giving advice and sharing 'secrets.' He was ahead of me when I joined SGL and was a great inspiration. He was one of the first to put in the time, the hours and hours of data capture and the meticulous and creative processing needed to make fine pictures. He never posted a bad one.

I hope I'm not going to embarrass him too much by saying these things but I'm sorry, I already miss him and his work too badly to let his 'retirement' go without comment. Perhaps we could raise a collective glass to this most able and gentlemanly astrophotographer? To Rob! :coffee22: Don't think much of these new emoticons if coffee's the best we can do. Where are those two clinking beer mugs when you need them??? ?

:grin:lly

I concur. Only ever had the pleasure of meeting Rob the once but found him to be a true gentleman. As you have said Olly, he is a master of deep space imaging and has no doubtset many off on the road to creating remarkable images. I wish him all the very best in whatever new endevour he undertakes and no doubt he will do it to a standard most of us can only aspire to. :hello2:

I met Rob once when he bought a bit of kit from me at Kelling, and I had no idea at the time what an excellent imager I was selling to.  I thought he was a very pleasant and likable person with a sense of humour, and it was only later I saw some of his wonderful images.

Sad not to see him on these forums any more, and wish him all the best in whatever his next venture is.

Carole 

Well said Olly, Rob. is well deserved of your accolade, every word very true, He is an Astro. Photography genius, and a gentleman too.
He does remain a member here, so perhaps he will continue to post, I hope so.

Mr H as I always called him - A true Gent and a world class imager - For him It was all about quality and not about quantity...

He , Like so many other people on here, provided me with a lot of help an encouragement when I started out.   I was  completely the  other way around in my "Space tourist" days all about quantity and questionable quality...

All the best for the future Mr H.

Peter...

Thankyou all....I'm deeply touched by your warmth and kind words :-).  I may yet do some imaging in the future, and will be keeping a high quality small rig, and might well do some teching in the future too, but, after not using my big rig for so long, and having a lot of money tied up in it, I decided that it was time to let it go. I'm far from rich and had to sacrifice a lot for that gear, and the money is needed for other things.  It's tough staying out night after night, and also spending weeks working on a single image, so you need to be 120% enthusiastic, and for me, once I can do something well, I tend to find that it's time to move onto something that I can't do and learn that!!  Life is too short to spend it doing one thing !!  I do have a few images left to process, so will be posting again, but not for a while I suspect, although myself and Mrs H enjoy the star parties a lot, and have made some fine friends through the forum, so, when work allows, we will be seeing you for some chilli and beers!!

i

Rob you and I first met in 2009 and I have always appreciated your friendship and admired your wonderful astro images. I hope we can meet up again at sometime in the future. I am glad that you might undertake the odd bit of imaging you certainly would make a great teacher/instructor. Love to Amanda and Nelson.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Way to scare a guy Olly. By the thread title, i'm sure it came as a big shock to Rob to read of his passing.

Heheh, no. I'm one of those people says 'dead' when they mean 'dead.' Nobody passes away in my world. They die. It can be a royal downer, but they do.

I just wanted to post a tribute to Rob's outstanding contribution to AP while he was still here to read it!

Recent reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated...  Mark Twain, of course. How come 70% of the world's greatest quotations come from him (and the rest from Groucho Marx???)

Olly

Archived