Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which astronomy magazine do you buy?

Star Struck

My current subscription for BBC Sky at Night magazine runs out in a couple of months and I was wondering if I should try a different astronomy magazine.

It would seem that the alternatives are:

Astronomy Now

Sky & Telescope

Do any of you have experience of these two titles and what are their strengths/weaknesses? Are they highly scientific or more suited to a hobbyist like me?

Are there any others that I have missed?

All views welcomed.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I subscribe to the 3 that you mention although I'm not going to renew the one for S@N. I find it a bit superficial .

Astronomy  Now is better in my opinion with more in depth articles but not too 'scientific' to use your word. I think it strikes a good balance.

I have an online sub to Sky & Telescope as I found it difficult to reliably and economically obtain a paper copy. It's main disadvantage is that it is US based and most of the observing data and adverts are, understandably, aimed at American readers. However, I do fInd most of the articles are a good read and are mainly more detailed on their particular subject. Although they do seem to occasionally have an article which seems to have a tenuous link to astronomy - recreating Monet's sunset view or something similar! 

However, I do wonder about the value of magazines in the Internet age. Once they were about the only source of news and information - and the adverts were a good way of keeping up to date with equipment and prices. Now all that info is available, and more up to date, via the web (this forum for example) and most people can access it. So. I find that I browse through the the mags when they arrive and go back to the odd article but I don't think that I'm getting good value out of them. 

When I used to commute I would read them avidly but not so much now when there always seems to be something else to do! 

Hope that helps 

I must admit to saying - non anymore.

I never liked S@N, used to get the occasional AN but went off it, stuck with S&T for years but now find I ve gone off that as well so have stopped buying any now.

AN is the most in depth. Astronomy and Sky & Telescope are worth a look too - but for subscription probably AN. I still like S&N if I want a quick read. I buy mags now and then depending on the most interesting articles rather than subscribe.

Only Sky & Telescope for me! Though its a shadow of its former self it still leaves the rest standing.

The American 'Astronomy' magazine was never in the same league as S&T. 

Out of the British offerings, only Astronomy Now is worth considering. S@N isn't even fit for wrapping chips in!

Mike 

I don't know whether I've changed or the magazines. I used to really look forward to the next issue of S&T or AN but they gradually seemed to be of less value as the price rose. I'm still as enthusiastic about astronomy so perhaps maybe it's the magazines that have changed. Could also be something to do between doing astronomy rather than reading about it, and then of course there is the internet.   :icon_biggrin:

Astronomy - the US one. And a digital sub. to Sky News Magazine from Canada - which I like alot. Sky & Telescope has slid downwards in quailty as of late, and the numbers of subscribers leaving it confirm this.

I expect the pendulum to keep swinging.....

Dave

Most niche interest publications are finding it hard to adapt to the Internet age, and the two main uk astronomy magazines have responded by trying to be more populist, and certainly in the case of Astronomy Now, adding pages. But compared to the two US mags, the (much smaller circulation) UK mags are much thicker. I've always been surprised by how thin S&T and Astronomy are - although they are cheaper here. Of the four main titles, I think Astronomy Now is the best package, but I think all of them could include more content of interest to us - the thousands of members of SGL - there's real scope for them to cover equipment in far more detail.

When I got into astronomy in the early nineties, I'm sure there was only Astronomy and Astronomy Now available in UK shops. I've stuck with Astronomy Now, and I've seen copies of S&T and Sky At Night, and they're certainly good, but I've never seen anything about them to make  me want to leave my AN subs.

I subscribe to S@N as it was originally purchased for me as a birthday present when I started got back into Astronomy about 4 years ago. I am starting to I feel that I maybe getting to the stage where I may have outgrown it.
Don't get me wrong there are some great articles but I just feel that sometimes they go over similar ground each month. I would really like to see more 'Advanced' sections on some articles. I notice Astronomy Now (see below) have a monthly section where they discuss an object and then break it down into historical/ technical analysis, viewing techniques and lastly imaging techniques, this gives you a good overview on all of the areas.

What I do like about S@N is the monthly Planetarium chat with Pete Lawrence and Paul Abel. Yes I can probably get the same info on the Internet / You Tube but they have a great way of conveying themselves and opinions. There are usually other exclusive items such as interviews and audio chats.

Like others have mentioned Astronomy Now is a good alternative it being UK based making the reviews and adverts more relevant, also feels better aimed at the more serious amateur?

Oddly I feel that there is a still a place for physical Astronomy publications but there will come a time where the Internet will take them out of paper print, if that has not pretty much happened already. I have no interest it subscribing to a iPad / Digital copy as it is really the ability to just pick up and read an article in seconds that appeals to me the most. Also the pleasant monthly surprise of finding the new edition ready for me a week before it arrives on the shops shelves is a bonus.

If you want more serious astronomy articles try joining the BAA. They publish a magazine every two months. I had been thinking about it for some time as I also find that most of the present astronomy magazines seem to cover the same topics over and over again. I am not complaining as it is a necessary thing for newcomers to astronomy. But there needs to be more in depth articles on actual bog standard astronomy , both visual and AP. I have found Nick Szymaneks  articles very informative in AN. The S&N seem to have lost their way since Patrick Moore passed away. The program needs more input from Pete Lawrence and Paul Abel as does the magazine.

The BAA did a special offer just recently which may still be going. That is 18 months for the price of 12. Their articles are quite in depth and do take some consistent study. That should keep me happy for some time. Also the offer could include your spouse for a couple of pounds extra as members. Well worth it I think.

Derek

3 hours ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

The BAA offer is on till July. I considered it recently, but £47 is quite a lot for a bi-monthly sub.

Ah!

I forgot I am 65 so cheaper, only £34 or £36 for couples. Thought it worth a try to see what they do for members and what is in the magazine.

I subscribe to S&N and occasionally buy Astronomy Now.  I think the equipment reviews in S&N are always useful but maybe AN better overall.

Both mags are good for beginners and it is a difficult balancing for mags to get it right between newcomers and the more experienced.

I subscribe to Sky & Telescope and Astronomy magazines. I also buy Sky At Night, Astronomy Now, and Sky News when there is something that is of interest to me.  I've always been an avid reader and I still like to hold a paper magazine over digital editions!!

Archived