Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Steve

SGLXII Star Party - Dates

Lots of starparty activity, as Kielder also overlaps during that week, 26th to 31st Oct - hope to make this one. 

Here we are lads, so we all get to see the x factor after all.

SGL11-1.jpg.c15ae75b10f50f2b9fa55e3dc3814d2b.jpg

• Like 2

I'll tell you something, I'm not following that white rabbit down that hole again!

SGL11-2.jpg.bad4253e8b8229578c4a36047fa9da11.jpg

Edited by scarp15
  • Like 1

Might just be able to make this one......of course, I won't know for sure until much closer to the event.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Might just be able to make this one......of course, I won't know for sure until much closer to the event.

Fingers crossed mate, hope to see you there! :)

• Like 1

ooh goody,

these star parties are like London busses, don't see one for ages, then two in my first year :icon_biggrin:

I guess I'll be keeping my eye open for the booking link then. :hello2:

I'm going to have to look at my pennies now to see if I can afford do the same as I did earlier this year.   The march trip was fun.

On 4/21/2016 at 22:56, Uranium235 said:

No prob Scott, prerequisite software needed for the method is Ps and something capable of pixel math (Maxim, PI LE etc), ie: something that allows you to subtract one image from another. It works best on galaxy images and widefield stuff, but complex nebulas that fill the frame are best tackled using a different method.

Can't you do the image subtraction using layers in photoshop?

On 4/24/2016 at 20:14, scarp15 said:

Lots of starparty activity, as Kielder also overlaps during that week, 26th to 31st Oct - hope to make this one. 

Here we are lads, so we all get to see the x factor after all.

SGL11-1.jpg.c15ae75b10f50f2b9fa55e3dc3814d2b.jpg

As for the photo caption, wasn't it "Phwoar"

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

Can't you do the image subtraction using layers in photoshop?

Only in CS5 and above, but i've yet to test that theory. I will give it a go in the near future and will report back any progress.

I paid for a Photoshop photographers subscription simply because it takes all the hassle out of the "well it's not in this version" stuff.  Had it for 18 months now, and whilst yes it's a cost.  I don't feel like it's a waste of money.  I am aware that some people don't have the money to spent on a subscription for software.

12 hours ago, cjdawson said:

I paid for a Photoshop photographers subscription simply because it takes all the hassle out of the "well it's not in this version" stuff.  Had it for 18 months now, and whilst yes it's a cost.  I don't feel like it's a waste of money.  I am aware that some people don't have the money to spent on a subscription for software.

Just tested it... it works, but... its very heavy handed. I'll have to find a way to add a constant so it doesnt kill off background dust and shift the histogram hard left.

Ok, ive had a fiddle around with it and here is what I came up with. I've applied it in such a way that it gets rid of vignetting, which is a little more difficult:

Grad-remove-test.gif

Ive got to find an easy way to do it (ie: a way that can be taught without confusion!).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Ok, ive had a fiddle around with it and here is what I came up with. I've applied it in such a way that it gets rid of vignetting, which is a little more difficult:

Grad-remove-test.gif

Ive got to find an easy way to do it (ie: a way that can be taught without confusion!).

Good luck with that Rob, I'm still trying to grasp the principal of the Cannistra Method :grin:

Dave

Thanks :) (I might need it!).... I managed to confuse myself along the way...lol.

It should be easier if applied to a gradient, but I thought I would have a go at vignetting first. It still leaves the background a bit dark but I managed to keep the outer dust on the galaxy. Just need to find a way of fixing that in Ps. Its no such problem in Maxim or PI as they were designed to do background subtraction.

Unfortuantely, its not the kind of thing I can boil down to an action - as there are some steps that need to be done manually along the way.

Haven't tried PI yet, usually try to do as little processing as possible in Maxim and hop of to PS ASAP :)

Dave

Ooooooh exciting!

Although I'd be up for March and November!

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 18:39, RobH said:

Will be nice to see you and Amanda, Rob - haven't seen you in yonks!

Ian will be 59 on 28th October - you could help us crack a bottle of fizz!

8 hours ago, lulu57 said:

Ooooooh exciting!

Although I'd be up for March and November!

Oh good! We will need you both there for the quiz team again :)

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 21:27, Uranium235 said:

Oh good! We will need you both there for the quiz team again :)

Well, you'll need Ian for the quiz team (I'm just the light entertainment).

On 21/04/2016 at 22:14, Scott said:

Can you knock up a vid for youtube for the gradient removal Rob?

I'll see if that can be arranged mate, I would need to install some software on the PC first.