Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGLXII Star Party - Dates

Steve

Dates for the next SGL Star Party are Fri 28th Oct - Fri 4th Nov, 2016.

Main days Fri 28th - Sun 30th October.

"What? Two SGL Star Partys in the same year?"  

At SGLXI, after discussions with the Lucksall Caravan and Camping Park, it was agreed we would move the event to the end of their season when the camp site is more relaxed.  We will then have full use of the cafe for the entire weekend for talks, workshops, etc.  It will also be easier for anyone wanting to book pitches together because we will know better which pitches are available and there is less need for Lucksall to move pitches during their off-season. 

Having decided to hold the event later in the year we didn’t feel comfortable asking you to wait a whole 18 months for the next one so we decided to have an additional Star Party, this year.  

As with previous SGL star partys there will be a curry on Friday night then Hog roast on Saturday and anyone wanting to stay longer can extend thier booking into the following week.  

We will post details of price, booking and eating arrangements in a seperate thread, this one is to let you know the dates so you can enter them into your calendar. 

If you haven’t attended a Star Party before and are a little nervous then this is a good opportunity because, being an additional Star Party, it might be a little quieter. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Careful, people will be making up comical captions :icon_biggrin:

:biggrin:

I especially like those photos (RikM is the photographer, more here) because they capture the relaxed atmosphere.  Let's face it, we aren't living in Arizona or Le Palma. The weather might not co-operate but the atmosphere and social are so good it really doesn't matter.  We always have a good time. 

4 minutes ago, Freff said:

Same week as the South Wales Astronomy Group planned event at Brecon. :sad:

Tony couldn't we plan the Brecons at the beginning of October instead or the weekend before as the Moon won't be up till late then next year shift it to March? That's if the owners have spaces & agree of course.
I didn't know that any dates had been set yet for this year yet.

Tich, I have just been talking to Justyn about the exact same issue. The main consensus was for SWAG to have it at the end of Oct rather than the beginning.

I can't see many going to both, so if the numbers are low for early Oct then it may well be cancelled. I would have to talk to the owners regarding a March event. I don't think we would be guaranteed the whole of The Meadows though. 

I'll be there :)

Right... I'd better cook up some more photoshop trickery to pass on - I do have one or two methods I've developed since SGL XI, one being a pretty neat way of removing gradients which is almost as good as DBE.

Its half term too, so there is a high chance I will have the little one in tow.... I've already explained the rules to him.. no football, no fires and definitely no white lights :D

Hopefully we can get together the winning quiz team again and dish out another spanking :D:D:D

university-challen_1120947c.jpg

29 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Right... I'd better cook up some more photoshop trickery to pass on - I do have one or two methods I've developed since SGL XI, one being a pretty neat way of removing gradients which is almost as good as DBE.

Its half term too, so there is a high chance I will have the little one in tow.... I've already explained the rules to him.. no football, no fires and definitely no white lights :D

Hopefully we can get together the winning quiz team again and dish out another spanking :D:D:D

university-challen_1120947c.jpg

You only won by one point Rob :grin:

57 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Can you knock up a vid for youtube for the gradient removal Rob?

42 minutes ago, Scott said:

Can you knock up a vid for youtube for the gradient removal Rob?

No prob Scott, prerequisite software needed for the method is Ps and something capable of pixel math (Maxim, PI LE etc), ie: something that allows you to subtract one image from another. It works best on galaxy images and widefield stuff, but complex nebulas that fill the frame are best tackled using a different method.

7 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Get yourself down there mate, you wont regret it. One night under a good, clear Lucksall sky is enough to make up for all the rubbishy nights you get in your back garden.

Are you saying my garden is rubbish? You are right, of course! ;-)

Only realised last night how close I am to Lucksall as well, so not sure there is any excuse not to.... will keep an eye out for more info!

Archived