Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No-Flip imaging with Mesu 200 - pier et al...

bilgebay

I know, with SGP + PlateSolve or a similar setup, flipping is not a big deal these days.

However, it can be very irritating to watch the operation remotely with a slow internet connection. This is one of the reasons I've started this project.

The other reason is; I'm planning to start using my 12" Newt for imaging and it is a real pain to operate with a regular tripod or pier; plus, the spider spikes will not overlap when flipped unless I spend considerable time to fine tune several elements in the system to be square etc. 

After spending some time with the available options, I came up with a different design of my own and last week had a chance to test it. 

post-58269-0-27885300-1460479258.jpg

Here is Mesu Mantis :)

post-58269-0-25154600-1461011260.jpg

In the second iteration, I will get rid of the original Mesu structure. This will allow me to lower the RA assy relative to the pier arm which in turn, create more clearance for the 12" Newtonian to go under the pier.

Very impressive! Is the structure / pier stiff enough to prevent any flex, it looks to be the weak part of the equation - given the mount you are using.

When watching the Testing the 8" video I was fully expecting the scope to bash into the wall :-0

That is a really neat solution! How is the lateral stability turning out? That would be my foremost worry.

Tip from the IT guy: the degree symbolis entered by holding down Alt and entering 0176 on the numeric keypad :) 37° 

/p

Thank you Ian and Per!

When hit from the sides, it is wobbling a bit, as I expected. My people at my workshop didn't follow my original recipe and went with thinner steel plates. Also the connectors are made of thin walled pipes. For some reason they decided I needed a light pier :) Under normal conditions, it is OK but better suited for a lighter mount/telescope setup. 

We are currently designing a second version and they promised to use the thicknesses I specify this time:) For me, the heavier the better. While designing this new version, we will get rid of the Mesu base to create more clearance for the long tube scopes.

Oh, I forgot to thank you for  the tip Per. But it is not working on my keyboard. This is a Macbook Pro, running Windows 7 on Bootcamp. I knew the code you gave but for some reason it is not producing the degree symbol. Under Mac OS it is Alt+K but this is not good under Bootcamp either.

Archived