Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last Night's Moon

The Admiral

Well it's there, so might as well image it :icon_biggrin:. Illumination 95%. Fuji RAFs converted to TIFFs in Capture 1, and ended up stacking 28 frames of 1/125th at ISO400 in AS!2, taken from 4 batches. Final image tweaked in Lightroom and finished in Picture Window Pro. Equipment used: Altair Wave 102mm f7 SuperED APO, Explore Scientific 2"2x focal extender, Fuji X-T1, Nexstar 6/8SE Alt-Az mount.

Centred_g3_ap725 stacked LR1 PWP rotshp.jpg

I think I've gone a long way to sorting my 'imager's droop'. The poorer definition at the top of my last image now seems to be much reduced with the introduction of a Baader M68 threaded 100mm extension tube with a Baader Clicklock adapter to hold the ES 2" 2x focal extender. Full marks to Baader on the extension tube, excellent bit of kit, it even has baffles inside!

Ian

On 20/04/2016 at 19:34, The Admiral said:

Well it's there, so might as well image it :icon_biggrin:. Illumination 95%. Fuji RAFs converted to TIFFs in Capture 1, and ended up stacking 28 frames of 1/125th at ISO400 in AS!2, taken from 4 batches.

:hello2:Great philosophy and very fine image !

Ummm, do you mean 28 individual pics stacked by AS!2 or 28 frames out of an avi ? The reason I ask is that I came across AS!2 last night and gave it a try with a couple of images from my bridge camera experiments but it showed nothing/didnt do anything :( (tried tiff, bmp and jpg). I read that it needed ffmpeg ("close by" whatever that means ! so I put ffmpeg.exe in the same folder) All I get are two blank rectangles :(:( So I am thinking it maybe only works on .avi or I am very stupid !

Do you know of a good dummies guide anywhere ? (all the guides I have found are for avi )

Thanks Peter and SilverAstro.

No I use individual APS frames. I don't use video since I tried and failed to get Registax to work with an avi from my dslr. Picky, I believe it can be! 

I find that user guides are a bit fragmentary, but the one I've found helpful is by Emil Kraikamp called AutoStakkert!2 - Planetary Imaging. It mentions both, but the principles should be the same I would have thought once you get the images in. For individual images you have to drag them into the interface, you can't use the 'file open' command.

Ian

3 hours ago, The Admiral said:

called AutoStakkert!2 - Planetary Imaging. / For individual images you have to drag them into the interface, you can't use the 'file open' command.

Thanks, downloaded,,  yes I've been dragging, something happens because I can click to mark align points but on a blank background :( ! no image shows and repeated drags of other pics doesnt increase the frames loaded count, very odd, maybe my Vista is too old for it, fingers crossed that ref may give me a clue,  cheers.

Can't promise to solve it, but can you give some more details please? Like file type, image size, AS!2 version? My APS images are quite large and the moon almost fills the frame, but I still have to scroll the image view even to find a large moon!

Ian

You have to drag a folder of images into AS!2 not individual images so put all your images in a folder and drag that in.

@The Admiral " I don't use video since I tried and failed to get Registax to work with an avi from my dslr. Picky, I believe it can be! "

Run your avi through PIPP first and then you should be able to load it into AS!2.

Peter

4 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

You have to drag a folder of images into AS!2 not individual images so put all your images in a folder and drag that in.

I tend to highlight a batch of individual images in Windows Explorer and drag the group in as a whole. That works.

Ian

2 hours ago, The Admiral said:

I tend to highlight a batch of individual images in Windows Explorer and drag the group in as a whole. That works.

Ah! so it does, thanks ! I now have two tiff loaded and can see them both :) That's some progress, yet to find how to move it on to the "Analyse" phase (remains greyed out :( ) , ,

Good point, I'll try more in a min. Yes Surface is ticked, allsorts ticked and un-ticked and noise robust upted and downed :) On the other hand, it may be my pics with my wee bridge camera are just too horrid for it, !! :) maybe thrown up its hands in horror muttering "he must be joking" :happy6:

Meanwhile I have been have been having great fun superimposing your sharp pic on top of my fuzzy blobs (very similar illuminations) and I can now identify loads more craters, I'll show laters in the beginners section.

You're a genius :) 5 frames loaded, it whizzed away awhile and then said done and produced ticks for 'Surface Image Stabilisation' and 'Buffering and Image Analysis' with a Quality Graph ! Yea ! Got a Done 1/1 on the bottom line,

nothing else obvious, 3) Stack is grey :(  My mistake, I thought it was going to stack on center of gravity, but seems I have to set some alignment points , , ,

Edit : Yippe! :) We have a stack :) Thanks very much @The Admiral if it had not been for your help I fear I may have abandoned hope and taken to the bottle, instead a fun and productive rainy evening with a few more added to my Lunar100 :hello2:

Well, kind of you to say so, but I can't really take the credit as you've done all the hard work! And I fear my knowledge is not much in advance of yours, I'm a bit of a newbie at this game too :icon_biggrin:. Anyway, I sometimes wonder if the bottle might not be the more pleasurable option!

Ian

Thanks nightfisher.

I've been pondering about this image, and having tried printing it and not being happy with the result, I thought I'd be more aggressive with the contrast and sharpening. Do you think this is an improvement? (Hmm, might have over-done the sharpening a bit :icon_biggrin:, so I've reduced it a re-posted the image below)

Centred_g3_ap725 stacked LR1 PWP rotshp cve1 shp.jpg

I'm still not totally happy with the lack of sharpness in the upper right quadrant, compared to the rest of the image (visible in the subs too). There is some evidence of a little residual chromatic aberration there on the periphery too. With the x2 extender the Moon almost fills the AP-S frame, and I'm wondering if it is a limitation of the 'scope's optics and whether I'd get better results just using the 'scope's native prime focus. Experimenting to be done!

Ian

Archived