sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Here is the issue. I just got my Canon EOS Rebel XS (1000D). Installed backyard EOS and wanted to try out DeepSpaceStacker before I went to work. Took 20 lights and 5 darks. (Now this was a quick test just to see what everything would look like) Whenever I run DSS, it says that only 1 image will be stacked and to adjust the star threshold.  I can't figure out where that adjustment is. It is also telling me I am out of memory when it tries to save the file, which isn't so. Any thoughts? Tips, Help?

41 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

In DSS when you have registered the images, click on the Advanced Tab and then reduce the star detection threshold. Can't help with the memory issue, sorry.

Peter

I reduced the star detection threshold down to 10% and it still will only stack 1 image. Andit saves it as Tiff

6 minutes ago, RParker762 said:

I reduced the star detection threshold down to 10% and it still will only stack 1 image. Andit saves it as Tiff

10% is not very low. How many stars does it detect? It will be listed in the file list if you scroll to the right. If it detects too few, lower the threshold, even less than 5% might be useful some times.

As for saving, do you get the memory message when you manually try to save, or when DSS tries to create the autosave file?

On 4/20/2016 at 04:57, ecuador said:

10% is not very low. How many stars does it detect? It will be listed in the file list if you scroll to the right. If it detects too few, lower the threshold, even less than 5% might be useful some times.

As for saving, do you get the memory message when you manually try to save, or when DSS tries to create the autosave file?

I get the msg when DSS tries to autosave.

On 4/20/2016 at 05:06, Owmuchonomy said:

I will ask the obvious question.  Have you ticked the check box for all of your light frames?

Yup, checked all the lights and darks.

Editted to add, I lowered the threshold to 5% and it started stacking them. Still says out of memory when it save but it does save it. Holy giant file size Batman! 256MB. I can't claim success as I am in the center of a light polluted city and some whispy clouds rolled in. Not many starts found though the pre stacked pictures seemed to show more. I am heading out to the deep desert this weekend so hopefully I can get something decent.

Edited by RParker762

If your input files are RAW format and DSS is not finding enough stars, even with a low detection threshold you can change the RAW settings. I think I've increased the brightness setting to 2 or even 4 before. 

I don't know what is causing the memory issue. But your final file size sounds about right.

Edited by Filroden

Ok, if the problem is the autosave, then try going to the settings and change the autosave directory to something else. It is in the stacking settings "Output". While you're at it, also change the "Temporary files filter" which lower on the tab. I've had some problems in the past with the output directory being in the same folder as the reference frame, so I now have a dedicated directory.

Focus is critical with DSS, suggest you zoom in on a star with the camera and spend some time trying to get the best focus you can and then start your imaging. I had the same problem with DSS you describe, but was simply down to poor focus.