Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQASCOM - Connecting the hardware ????

I've downloaded and installed EQASCOM and I'm now wading through the multiple connection options for my EQ6 mount with V4 SynScan upgrade.  :hmh:

I received a Female RS232 DB9 to RJ12 cable with my upgrade kit and it seems the easiest way to hook it up to my laptop is to get a Male RS232 DB9 to USB adapter.

So where do I connect it? The mount has an Auto Guider port that accepts a RJ12 plug as does the SynScan hand controller.

My laptop has a RJ12 port plus 1 X 3.0 and 2 x 2.0 USB ports. Is it also an option to use a straight RJ12 to RJ12 cable from either the Auto Guider port on the mount or the RJ12 port on the SynScan handset to the RJ12 port on the laptop.

In my newbiness (is that even a word) I am probably missing the obvious here.

Any help much apprediated.

Thanks

Hi Kev,

I suspect that your laptop has an RJ45 port (8 way network)  and not an RJ12 port, so you will need a USB to Serial adaptor, of which there are some commercially available, or you could make your own EQDirect adaptor.

This then would normally replace the handset and drive the mount directly from the PC via ASCOM\Carte Du Ceil\Stellarim etc., but it can also be plugged into the handset, which is put into 'PC direct mode', which achieves the same thing but with another device in the control chain.

Thanks for the replies.

Julian was spot on. The port on the laptop is RJ45.

I'm still confused as to what the auto guider jack on the mount is for.

Skywatcher don't appear to have updated their manual sine the original EQ6 however I've just downloaded the Orion Atlas manual which shows the auto guider port although it doesn't seem to mention what it is for.

The autoguider port is used during imaging. A small telescope and guide camera are attached to the main telescope and the guide camera sends images back to the laptop. Software on the laptop (PHD) monitors the images for any drifting and it in turn sends corrective commands back to the mounts ST4 autoguider port through either a special interface (autoguider) or a built in autoguider port on the guide camera.

18 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

Thanks for the replies.

Julian was spot on. The port on the laptop is RJ45.

I'm still confused as to what the auto guider jack on the mount is for.

Skywatcher don't appear to have updated their manual sine the original EQ6 however I've just downloaded the Orion Atlas manual which shows the auto guider port although it doesn't seem to mention what it is for.

The RJ45 port on the handset connects the handset to the mount, the other port is for updating firmware or for controlling the mount from a computer.

After looking into this cable a bit deeper it seems that all DB9 to USB cables are not equal. I don't want to fry the mounts mobo for the sake of 30 odd bucks.

To that end I've decided on a HitecAstro EQMOD Direct Adaptor from Rother Valley Optics as FLO wont post to the antipodes.

Cheers

Archived