Narrowband

Using hundreds or thousand of short narrowband subs?

Sorry to have touched a nerve there.

" So I guess I fit in a small nitch of odd-balls who would rather get it right in the camera, and save the sugary coatings for the donuts. :rolleyes2: "

If one takes an image in a monaural camera format, (that is, to the eye a Black & White image,) then manipulates the coloring into the image, what would you call it?

" Hubble images are made, not born. "

I'm a simple purist. And I was doing digital pictures in the mid-1990's for my web pages. (During the transitional period from film to digital photography) I didn't have to do anything to those simple basic Point and Shoot camera images. Even if a simple sharpening was used, it could be seen. Using my DSLR today to take pictures, for example, the picture taken looks like the subject to me. It didn't require a lot of stacking, for example. I'm not so naive as to believe there isn't a lot of trickery going on automatically in my DSLR, by the way.

I'd like to believe what I'm looking at, but it is ever more hard to do what with the manipulations going on. IE: multiple stars with identical spires added for effect, unrealistic colorings like a Green Moon. And believe me, I've capture spires emanating from stars in my images, but they were never symmetrical. (Unless I was using one of my Bahtinov Masks.)

Again, sorry if I touched a nerve there. :headbang:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/10/2016 at 19:12, cuivenion said:

To be fair using stacking just reduces the deficiences inherent in the camera anyway.

Not only deficiencies in the camera! Stacking is a way of collecting more photons from the object and hence increasing its signal-to-shot-noise ratio. This is nothing to do with the camera and everything to do with the fact that the Universe is inherently noisy.

NIgelM

On 10/26/2016 at 06:36, dph1nm said:

Not only deficiencies in the camera! Stacking is a way of collecting more photons from the object and hence increasing its signal-to-shot-noise ratio. This is nothing to do with the camera and everything to do with the fact that the Universe is inherently noisy.

NIgelM

Now wait a minute Nigel,

Sound doesn't travel through a vacuum....

:happy6: Ducks... runs....

On 19/10/2016 at 20:20, SonnyE said:

DSS stalls and/or runs out of memory,

Check you don't have drizzle switched on under stacking parameters, it hugely increases the memory demands and should only be used with a cropped out area of the image. I found out the hard way.

On 10/28/2016 at 00:26, Stub Mandrel said:

Check you don't have drizzle switched on under stacking parameters, it hugely increases the memory demands and should only be used with a cropped out area of the image. I found out the hard way.

Thank You, Stub.

Oh, I haven't given up entirely. I've just found 10,000 ways the didn't work. :hiding::tongue:

So far, Nebulousity has worked in it's trial mode. So I can tell it isn't my pikturds that are unstackable.

Thanks for the drizzle tip. :hello:

Archived