SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

White light with binos

jetstream

Today was the trial for the SW120ED/Baader Cool wedge and the Denk Binotron 27's and this set up was compared to mono with the Zeiss 25.1-6.7 zoom. The seeing was above avg and the binos did not disappoint... I can't believe how good the view of the sun is through them with the 25mm TV plossls.

The huge spot near the edge of the sun was 3D like- with 3 umbral spots and a fantastic network of crackling faculae off the top right. Below this huge spot streamers and tear drop size plage seam to drip from the lower end of the large spot. Granulation popped out from low to high mag and had the "cell" like look to it with nice intergranular lanes showing.

The Zeiss zoom gave a great view, the binos took the view to a much higher level....razor sharp and with much more contrast. The granulation was superb as was everything else.

My seeing today was not the best I've ever had.... but the Binotron 27's gave me the best view I've had so far, and this is quite an accomplishment besting this particular zoom...

In another thread I'll show how important diopter adjustment can be for us- it is hugely important for very sharp views. I also believe the binos like larger aperture...

Gerry I can totally agree with your findings. I view the Sun in my 4 inch Astro Tech APO with the Lunt Herschel Wedge, Baader Continuum Filter and 25mm Antares Plossls in my binoviewers and the view is magnificent far better than cyclops whatever quality eyepiece I use.

The best view of the Sun I have ever had was in the United States viewing the 2012 Venus Transit. An American colleague had a Lunt 152mm Ha scope with Denk binoviewers and 25mm TeleVue Plossls -  the image was incredible.

6 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Gerry I can totally agree with your findings. I view the Sun in my 4 inch Astro Tech APO with the Lunt Herschel Wedge, Baader Continuum Filter and 25mm Antares Plossls in my binoviewers and the view is magnificent far better than cyclops whatever quality eyepiece I use.

The best view of the Sun I have ever had was in the United States viewing the 2012 Venus Transit. An American colleague had a Lunt 152mm Ha scope with Denk binoviewers and 25mm TeleVue Plossls -  the image was incredible.

You know Mark I have been thinking of Ha with the binos... that view with the big Lunt must have been fantastic! No way I'll afford one of those though lol! I might put the 90mm Raptor on the chopping block to fund a Lunt of some sort though... I hate to get rid of this scope, it star tests great and is perfectly collimated. Decisions, decisions...

6 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

An excellent 'First Light(s)' report on this - thank you! And yes indeed on topping the Zeiss Zoom - that's truly sweeping the field in an optical review.

Now let's all hope for a cloudless patch of weather on and about the 9th.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm amazed at the binos with plossls, Russ Lederman makes some really nice equipment- from the OCS to the EP holders. I still can't believe it bested this zoom! It was at the top of my obs equipment pile! I should have bought binos years ago like my buddy said- but I take quite a while to research some things :grin:

I hope its clear in your neck of the woods for the 9th (here too). I heard Vermont is very nice btw...

3 minutes ago, jetstream said:

"......

I hope its clear in your neck of the woods for the 9th (here too). I heard Vermont is very nice btw... "

T'is! And we fully intend to keep it this way. No to pollution - of any variant. Including unnecessary light. No billboards on the highways (all 2 of 'em), neon-signs plugging 'EAT AT JOE'S and Get Gas' (real sign in New Hampshire next-door), nada.

Dave

Great stuff Gerry. Given my recent experiences I'm not surprised at all that you are enjoying the BVs. I'm still getting to grips with mine for planetary, but Solar and Lunar views are amazing. At some point I do want a 120 to 130mm refractor back in my life!! ??

Archived