SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ursa Minor

Hi All

I have just had to restart my computer!!

Put my coat on a went out to the back garden. Brilliant sky tonight, has been for about an hour.....anyway.....I saw Ursa Minor and Polaris with my 8x42 bins!! Then I thought no, it cant be, went in a got planisphere out, looked up, checked the planisphere, went out, I came in and googled it as well, went out.........bl**dy hell! It was Ursa Minor....whoopee!! Then I checked it again and it was.......brilliant!! My first.

Going to bed now, off down to London tomorrow morning. Nite Nite

Terry 

Sounds great! Now you could go for an easy double: Mizar & Alcor in Ursa Major. Always a fun one to point out to people. Here's a good narrative -

http://stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/alcor.html

These are quite close to us, in stellar terms: 82.2 LY each. Magnitudes of 2.23 and 3.99 respectively.

Have fun!

Dave

Mizar & Alcor.jpg

Dave in Vermont.

I suppose its not that interesting to most people but for me being the first I have recognised is a +1.

Will do as you suggest.......might take me a while!!

Terry

50 minutes ago, terryc said:

Dave in Vermont.

I suppose its not that interesting to most people but for me being the first I have recognised is a +1.

Will do as you suggest.......might take me a while!!

Terry

'Firsts' in astronomy are always great, no matter what. 

John

Archived