SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M57 screen capture

rikyuu

ok, this image is a little embarassing compared to the other fantastic images of M57 on here, but it did get me rather excited when I saw it for the first time. It was completely unplanned, in fact I had the Dobs in my dining room pointing out from the patio doors! I was really just playing around with the focal reducer spacing from the CCD and checking the focuser in-travel, half expecting the clouds to role in. I'd also wound the primary mirror closer earlier on, so colimation was only done roughly. I had the Mintron fitted pointing at Vega, as I had no idea of the field of view, I was struggling to recognise the surrounding stars from a print out from Stellarium, when it suddenly hit me that I was seeing stars not on Stellarium. With that sorted, I decided to try to star hop my way around Lyra and work towards M57. Finally I got to the stars near to it and increased the intergration on the Mintron, when suddenly a round donut shape started to appear on the monitor, there it was, M57 :hello1: ! I was really chuffed to see it there live, so I took a photo of the screen (below). Of course then I was wishing I'd set everything up properly, but shall have to save that for another night!

6708_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Well its a start Rik........

Remember, if your scope was in the living room pointing outside then it most likely hadnt cooled down enough, therefore effecting the data you captured......I let my 10" cool down for at least 90 minutes now....When i started imaging, there was many a time i ended up doing unplanned imaging sessions and then end up scratching my head wondering why i cannot get it focussed......Then came to realise i had to let scope cool down a lot longer than i used to give it......

Once you are up and running properly though there will be no stopping you.....

Mark

Archived