Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Worried!!

Hi All

Been looking for an idea for a scope for myself.

Been looking at various models Skywatcher 130p/150p. Skywatcher 102 mak/127 mak. It might sound strange but I forgot I am only a little bloke!! 4ft 10ins, and some of those that I have been looking at seem a bit tall for me, (with ep stuck up at the front, also the maks on tripods might be to tall for me to get up to 90 degrees lens) even putting a dobs or Newt on a table its going to be a bit tall, I cant stand on a chair for maybe hours on end!! I know that while on the maks the front end goes up and the other end goes down!! There is no near store that I can go to so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas!!........sensible one's I mean!!

Appreciate your time/advice

Terry

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick with a short tube telescope on a short tripod and mount and you should be okay.  You'll want to be seated when viewing to be more relaxed and stable.  Newtonians might pose a bit of a problem for you as you have suggested.  I have an AT72ED mounted on a DSV-1 on a Manfrotto 058B tripod.  That tripod can be adjusted down to 18 inches and the DSV-1 adds less than foot.  You could swap the tripod for something lighter/cheaper.  You could also swap the telescope for a Mak or SC as well.

Don't fret too much about your height and telescopes.  Taller Newtonian scopes require everyone to use ladders or tall stools to reach the eyepiece.  Google image search "astronomy observing chair" and take a look at what others are doing to reach their eyepieces.

A 150p f8 dob only stands about 4'. even at zenith with the scope pointing straight up you'll be ok with this. Check for any local astronomy clubs nr by and find out if there's an observing night you cancoe along to to see some scopes :)

Once we're on our target, physical size doesn't play much - it's about being comfortable when we look through our eyepiece. And that's where an observational-chair with easy to adjust height enter the equation. Rotating & adjustable height are made for other tasks such as ironing clothes to drummer's stools at rock-concerts. As well as made-for astronomy ladder seats as I use (below). One caveat: As soon as you designate something with the word "astro" in it - the price tends to being 'out-of-the-world.' Be it chairs or be it foam-lined cases. Try going to a nearby 'star-party' - look into astronomy-clubs in your area and pay a visit if you can. We folks are generally happy to let you try their gear out.

Have fun & happy hunting!

Dave

Vestil-CPRO-600-2.jpg

Darrenh.......Funny!! Miracle Grow, gets in between your toes! SMALL step ladder I can do without! High bar stool, I keep falling off!!

(where are the ''funny faces, I can't find them), must be your French sense of humour!! Tks mate.

Joe1234....For all I know you might be one of those 6ft teenagers?? ''with a stool''. For seating or standing??

Waldermar....That is def possibility.

Louis D....Exactly. I have a Manfrotto for a birding scope but one of the ''in'' words seems to be stability. Don't think a Birding tripod would be that stable?? My birding scope has a centre column that goes up and down, quite handy for me!! Trouble with those BIG Newts/Dobs is portability. I only have a ''small'' car, think I would need a trailer to get it anywhere!!

Think It will have to be a Mak........anyone got a skymax 102 / 127 mak?? Any good??

Thanks for all your ideas (even if one or two were off track!!)

Terry

28 minutes ago, Louis D said:

One disadvantage of almost all astronomy tripods is that the spread angle is fixed, limiting how low they can go.  Most good photography tripods don't have this limitation.

I just didn't put in the bit that stops it - makes it much more portable. The only disadvantage is that it's slightly harder to get it spread out evenly, but it doesn't matter too much for visual use.

Oh, and no, I'm one of the smallest in my year! I use an ironing stool from amazon which works fine.

The legs of any tripod can be extended or retracted to fit, in fact often they are much more stable without the legs fully extended. A Mak or a short-tube Refractor would suit you fine. Maks tend to have narrower views but are capable of higher magnifications, so are good for Lunar and planetary observation. Short-tube Refractors generally perform better at low to medium magnifications and provide wider views.

There are two types of tripod mounts; Equatorial (which follows the course of the stars) and Alt-azimuth (which simply swings up down and left-right). Alt-azimuth are much simpler to set up and use for general observing, especially compared to the cheaper EQ1 or 2 Equatorials.

1 hour ago, terryc said:

Think It will have to be a Mak........anyone got a skymax 102 / 127 mak?? Any good??

i have a Mak 127 mounted on Heq5 tripod and Eq3-2 mount and it is very good on planets and lunar,

20160418_204449.jpg

with the legs fully retracted on the Heq5 tripod and the Mak in the home position the total height is 4ft 5in with the eyepiece at 3ft 4in (just been out and measured) so even for allowing for slewing it around you should not have any problem reaching the eyepiece if that is what you are worried about :happy7:

Thanks again folks for all your info. Not worried so much now!!

Dave in Vermont.....Nice chair! Will have a look around for something like that. Download worked fine. Thanks mate.

Scott....Seen them! Are they heavy?? I understand about bigger appatures, more light.

Joe12345......Thanks mate.

Patrick....I like the look of the Mak's. I am only going by youtube and pictures in mags I didn't realise that the astro tripods had adjustments up and down, they look a lot more sturdy than the tripod I have for my birding scope!! Thanks for the info mate.

Starlight 1....I have only been up here 1 year, doing my new place up but have made a good friend who lives on the edge  Weybourne, he has a field and said I can go up there any time I wanted......they have a loo and kitchen there as well!! It is sooooo dark up there!!........Where is turnipshire?? Never heard of that place...but I am new!!

Thanks again for your help/advice

Terry

@terryc,

Heavy is a relative word :) .

The base and scope can be carried in two parts and I'd be pretty surprised if either part was much more than 20lb (10kg).  I would say your average 13-70 yr old would do it with ease :)
The dob base will also be far more sturdy than a cheap eq or az mount. Just be aware if imaging is at all likely then this isn't the right mount for you...but its about 1/4 of the cost of a reasonable imaging rig.

Jemc....your a star. Thanks mate, confidence is back up and running!!

Starlight 1....Thanks for the offer mate. ''Fed Up''!! You must be joking.

I used to drive a London cab and I hated the place. Just retired and have not thought of the place once since I got up here.

Scott....Thanks mate. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks for all your help/advice

Terry

Just check the rated load limit on your existing tripod.  Add up the weights of the mount, telescope, and any needed counterweights.  If the total is less, you should be able to use your existing tripod.  To reduce vibrations, put anti-vibration pads under each tripod foot.  Alternatively, find a set of Sorbothane insoles and cut them to size to make your own pads.  They don't have to be new, either, to work well.

I looked into getting a setup like JemC's, but the assembled weight with counterweights was just too much for my bad back to hoist out the backdoor or around the yard.  That's why I went with the alt-az setup with a refractor.  Much lighter and good for low power views up to 125x.  I bought the 058B secondhand because it has a higher load capacity than my 055B.  My rig is stable as a rock when all setup.

Steve...Had no idea, yeah! about a mile away although not much in the way of  the ''commercial gear ie Skywatcher, Celestron etc but worth a look round the shop.

Louis D....lots of ideas. Confidence well and truly back now!!

Thanks

Terry

Check out Altair's 72ED scope.  It's really similar my AT72ED.  Mainly the focuser is different (R&P vs Crayford style).  Very portable, sharp, and nearly free of chromatic aberrations.  It can double as a birding scope as well!

Archived