SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M81/82

5 hours ago, Herzy said:

If I just slew to them then it won't be perfect every time. I usually gather data over the course of a week, and then compile it. If I slew to it every night manually then it won't be spot on in the same position as the last night.

Unless you have a remarkable mount you will have to nudge it this way and that to get it aligned with the previous run. That is par for the course. We all do that. Have a previous night's image open on one page, shoot a live image tonight, compare them, nudge the mount... It's not too tricky.

Olly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The FITS settings affected the results I got with my camera (Pentax K20D). Nowadays I mostly use PixInsight for all calibration and stacking and I rarely use DSS anymore.

My advice: test the settings with a small number (5 - 10) of light frames and calibration frames. You may also have to change the "color adjustment" levels. Then use the settings that work best for you.

Good luck

Wim, are you suggesting that to get the correct Bayer Transform from RAW  files, the correct camera has to selected in the FITS  window?

Both Stevie and I are suffering from lack of chroma info in our M81/M82 images, both from RAW images stacked in DSS.

Yet Owmuchonomy says "You would have to muck around a fair bit with the DSS settings to get it to incorrectly  debayer "

So what setting in DSS needs setting for correct debayering of RAW images?

I've had similar lack of saturation in my Horeshead images, so dying to get to the bottom of this.

Michael

When I used DSS for stacking, I had trouble with colour in my images. I experimented with both RAW and FITS settings, and got it to work with "Generic BGGR", which is the Bayer matrix for my K20D.

I agree that this seems strange, as DCRaw should take care of the debayering. It's just what I recall doing at the time.

Stevie: what did you do to get colour?

Archived