SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy Magazines

Astronomy Magazines  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Which astronomy magazine(s) do you read on a regular basis?

• Sky At Night
    • Astronomy Now
    • Astronomy Magazine
    • Sky & Telescope
    • All About Space
    • None

We are considering advertising in one or more of the astronomy magazines, but we aren’t sure which to choose… 

Please help us by letting us know which is your favourite. Which ones do you read on a regular basis? 

Thank-you :smile:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm honest, half the time I buy through habit. on occassion (becoming more frequent) I'll just flick through, read reviews and put it aside :( . I really should just buy when and if theres a special event etc :)

The problem I have with the ads in s@n is that I could pick up an issue from 12mth ago and any given ad will not really have changed . Consiquently, I rarely look at them now

I just let my subscription to Astronomy Now lapse, I find them really annoying in that it's a high percentage of repeat  adverts, complete (and vague) buncum about stuff that has little interest to me. Whilst I have a masters degree in astro physics I don't see myself as an experienced or even a half decent astronomer even though I've been at it for years off and on, I would like to see a higher proportion of practical astronomy along the lines of both of the imaging series they run and the lunar article. Actually now I've written that it sounds like they aren't doing such a bad job after all but it's still a lot of money just to flick through and get annoyed by adverts, I would rather pay twice as much and have more content

2 hours ago, Colinlp said:

I just let my subscription to Astronomy Now lapse, I find them really annoying in that it's a high percentage of repeat  adverts, complete (and vague) buncum about stuff that has little interest to me. Whilst I have a masters degree in astro physics I don't see myself as an experienced or even a half decent astronomer even though I've been at it for years off and on, I would like to see a higher proportion of practical astronomy along the lines of both of the imaging series they run and the lunar article. Actually now I've written that it sounds like they aren't doing such a bad job after all but it's still a lot of money just to flick through and get annoyed by adverts, I would rather pay twice as much and have more content

I find Sky At Night is very good for the practical side of astronomy. The tips on using and maintaining equipment are very good and the monthly sky guide has provided quite a few targets that I had not previously considered. Their equipment review section is also quite good (and they ain't paying me a thing for the spiel! :-D)

As a sometime contributer to Astronomy Now it would be inappropriate for me to comment but I'd like to register an interest in the thread. I know a number of contributers to both magazines reasonably well and I know that all are sincere.

Olly

51 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

As a sometime contributer to Astronomy Now it would be inappropriate for me to comment but I'd like to register an interest in the thread. I know a number of contributers to both magazines reasonably well and I know that all are sincere.

Olly

Olly is right and the majority of contributors to Sky at Night and Astronomy Now magazines are members at SGL so please keep the critique courteous :police: 

I've had subscriptions to both in the past but read neither now. I agree it is a sign of the times - the internet provides news so much faster and also you can find much better tutorials etc. online. Too many adverts in magazines also nowadays...

John 

For me it's a paper subscription to AN and an e-subscription to S&T - next time it will be paper as I don't get on with reading off a tablet.

Without giving the business plan away, I wonder what FLO will do with this survey?  I would have thought that SGL members are all very aware indeed of FLO and regularly visit its website and less regularly make purchases.  It's the non-SGLers that presumably need reaching.  

Paul

I was subscribed to Sky at Night but cancelled my subscription because they were not capable of sending my copy to Italy on time.

I have read them all and the two mentioned on-line magazines , one free and the other very cheap are my choice at the moment.

I still would like a magazine's main content to be about Astrophotography and Equipment with an odd scientific article.

I beleive they have this format the wrong way round for most of us.I bet that most people here skip through the first pages and go straight to the tutorial pages and reviews.

I read AN regularly enough to consider taking out a subscription but would miss my forays into WHS to  pick one up :D.

I only read S @ N very occasionally as I find the content a bit too basic now.

I get both S@N and Astronomy Now on subscription (Christmas presents from parents and wife as they never know what to get me!).  I do read both from cover to cover apart from the odd article. I must admit to not really looking at the adverts though. Would probably be good for new people to astronomy, but I think old hands already know where to buy from/have their favourite suppliers.

Archived