SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

buying a new telescope

Is there a telescope that if you put in the alt and az goes to that spot. Example. ( your going around the sky you see something, what to know what your looking at. Your phone ap gives you a good idea what your seeing,

but would like to put the alt and az to make sure what I'm seeing.

Thanks everyone.  I have a 8" dobsonian and a 4" go to.  Maybe the go to  push-to dobsonian is the answer thanks

. Last night I was just dancing around the sky. with the 8" I'd see something, wonder what I was looking at. go to my I phone ap (Skeye) hold the phone up try and identify what I was seeing.  I would get some idea what I was seeing I'd see the alt and az coordinates and try and figure is that the right one. Then thinking if I had a scope that I'd see the alt/az coordinates on the phone and put them in and boom it would go right there that would be nice. 

In the old days of positional astronomy, long before computerised go-to, this would have been done mechanically with the setting circles on a very accurate and well set-up equatorial mount, preferably permanently fixed in an observatory.  Don't imagine, though, that you can do this with any precision with an inexpensive EQ1 or 2 mount today!

Archived