Narrowband

First solar image ... be gentle !

knobby

Hi, this is my first attempt at solar imaging, very different to planetary and i guess i have the wrong camera (ASI224) ideally mono is preferable.

Thanks to all the help on a previous 'what scope thread' I have a Lunt LS 50 B600 to play with.

Managed to achieve focus by unscrewing the E.P. holder, pulling the diagonal out about 1/4" and screwing the ASI directly to diagonal (again thanks to forum help... I'd have spent weeks working that out)

Captured 10-15 second runs of about 500 frames, fiddled with pressure tuner etc til looked nice on screen, settings were FPS 27, Shutter 0.671ms, Gain 85, Gamma 15.

Stacked in Autostakkert (had no idea about align points so manually drew around AR etc) stacked 30% of the 500 frames (where the quality graph started to drop off) and wavelets in Registax 6.

Ta for looking and hopefully these settings will get someone else just starting in the ball park to get going.

It's probably upside down and left to right but it's mine and i like it 

Sol_17-4-16_1st.png

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again everyone for the kind comments, not sure if this is the correct place to ask but what do the 'experienced' solar imagers do ?

I've read somewhere to set gamma low and shutter as low as possible to freeze the moments of good seeing(as in planetary) and limit runs to 10 - 15 seconds as the Sun is constantly changing ?

Any tips greatfully recieved !

No idea what other folks do, I keep the gamma and gain low and increase the exposure to get a reasonable image on screen using Firecapture , though there are some instructions in Firecapture that say something different I believe.

Usually take between 3000 and 5000 frames depending on the seeing / cloud /  wind, at  30 / 40 FPS.

Dave

44 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

No idea what other folks do, I keep the gamma and gain low and increase the exposure to get a reasonable image on screen using Firecapture , though there are some instructions in Firecapture that say something different I believe.

Usually take between 3000 and 5000 frames depending on the seeing / cloud /  wind, at  30 / 40 FPS.

Dave

Thanks Dave, so you're capturing for about 2 minutes then ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, due to boredom and the urge to learn ...

I've split the rgb, discarded g and b, converted to mono, fiddled with curves to make it orangey and rotated to what I remember to be the correct orientation that day.

Sol_17-4-16_1st_split.png

Archived