SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mercury Transit 9th May 2016

Ibbo!

1 hour ago, Lacaille said:

Thanks for all the great images. It was too cloudy for any imaging where I am in France but I saw some of the live feeds that were available on the web.  After the event, I found myself wondering if anyone had created a site where several live feeds from around the world were simultaneously presented - a sort of dashboard of feeds.  That would allow you to look at any that were not currently clouded over and might also allow you to see and compare parallax effects from different points of the compass, especially at Contact.  It would be beyond my capabilities to do this but might involve an adaptation of videoconferencing technology. Has it been done for transits or eclipses anywhere? 

This would actually be quite easy. Google hangouts would work.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 25/06/2018 at 00:07, CentaurZ said:

The next Mercury transit across the Sun will occur on 2019 NOV 11. The Americas, Europe, Africa, and the Near East will be in the zone of visibility.

Will we still see it now we’re coming out of the EU ????

• Haha 3

• 1 year later...

The day was fabulous. Very clear and sunny with no clouds. Watched the whole event from my house. 

Used my Celestron C11 with glass full aperture solar filter side-by-side with a Meade 2047 on a Losmandy GM100-EQ mount and my Celestron C5 with a Hydrogen alpha filter on a Celestron Nexstar 8SE mount. Just spectacular. I didn't acquire any images. My general rule for events like this is to watch them the first time and image them the next time(s).

Looking forward to the next transit in November 2019! I plan on taking lots of images of this transit, weather permitting. 

• 2 months later...

I thought that viewing of the transit of Mercury was going to be not possible due to early morning fog predictions but lo and behold the clouds parted this AM and I got a good view of the tiny black orb. I used my Tal Alkor 65mm with a filter made from Baader film. The fact that there are currently NO obvious Sun spots to be seen made it very easy.