Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new member any advice welcomed

bbb69

Hi All. I'm new to all this, recently purchased a Celestron 114 on an EQ mount with a view to getting some Moon pictures. Ive had my canon 1100d for a few years now and mainly use it for wildlife and outdoors pictures. Love my photography and still get a buzz when I get good shots (not many to be fair) I know I will take a while to get a good moon snap so any advice welcome. I also have a canon powershot 610 which I intend to use for digiscoping and maybe even mount use this for the moon pics I want. Anyway I have also purchased some additional celestron lenses but not yet pointed the scope to the sky mainly due to the amount of cloud cover here lately. I hope to get set up and just have a look around before I attempt getting pictures. Does any one have any experience or advice about the equipment or any pics to show me using the set ups to see what I can expect from what I have. Thanks in advance for any advice and Thanks already for the advice I have from reading other threads on here.

I'm visual only, too, I'm afraid - but, welcome.

Root through the various sections of this wonderful repository of knowledge and experience and the answer will be there.

Or, if necessary, it will be tracked down.

Have fun.

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :icon_biggrin: It is not going to be easy imaging with your set up, mostly because of the lack of a motor on mount.

I would think you might be able to get some decent single exposure shots of the moon maybe with your DSLR, but i think you could certainly do some Lunar imaging with a webcam type camera, as long as you are happy to track manually via the slow motion knobs.

Ask the question in the imaging section and you will get a more comprehensive answer.

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here. While I am an imager, I don't 'do' the moon so can't really offer much help. There's a lunar imaging section that may be useful to look around and get some ideas and also hook up with people involved in lunar imaging.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi bbb and welcome to SGL, Astrophotography is not an easy subject to come to terms with, if you have basic equipment, the best piece of advice, I and I am sure many others will give you, is to avail yourself of a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" see FLO top of the page for purchase and details. Enjoy the forum :) 

Hello bbb  and welcome to SGL I've started to put my I phone at the end of an eyepiece so you see your more experienced than I am as you are already into photography. You should get lots of help from the more experienced members so go for it get a camera at the end of the scope and start clicking. Have a great time

Welcome to the Lounge, wishing you clear skies...

The 1st thing to try with your Camera, is to put on your mount, with a standard telephoto lens 100-200mm and try some delayed shots (to allow time for mount to settle) at various ISO's etc... 

Then get hold of an intervalometer, which allows you greater control of the capture sequence.

After that, well you can think about mounting the camera body to the OTA, but then your on the slippery slope to being broke.

Archived