Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Idiot Morpheus User question

MattJenko

I recently acquired a Baader Morpheus 14mm EP. When using it, there is no mechanism to extend an eyeguard per se, just a really flimsy bit of 1cm flappy rubber around the EP lens and you have to kind of hover your eye above the lens and find the right position before holding it youself, which just doesn't feel right, and with my glasses is downright clunky. Am I simply being an idiot, or is there anything I can do to improve my comfort in using this. Views are lovely, but given I find it awkward, I am not using it at the moment.

Cheers

Matt

I have the same eyepiece, I don't think you are doing anything wrong - I think the flimsy eyecup this is a common complaint about this eyepiece range, but it doesn't bother me; with or without glasses, I find it easy to use, I love this eyepiece.

I did recently sell another one though as I didn't use it for exactly the same reason that you describe. I guess we all need to find the eyepiece that is most comfortable to use.

Do you sit or stand when viewing? I've recently changed to a Dob and taken to sitting down, I now find that I can hold my head more still, when i'm sat at the right height.

there is no mechanism to extend an eyeguard per se, just a really flimsy bit of 1cm flappy rubber around the EP lens

Sadly that is the nature of the beast and the one real complaint I had when I reviewed the eyepiece.

The eyepiece comes with the eyecup folded down.  May I presume you did raise it?

If you don't view with glasses, but would like to extend the eyecup up a bit, know that the TelVue Eyeguard Extender will work on the Baader Morpheus eyepieces.

This is how I use my Delos and XW eyepieces with eyeglasses and the eye guards all the way down:  Being left eyed, I lightly touch the side of the eyepiece with my left index and middle fingers and touch left cheek into my left thumb.  This helps align my left eye with the eyepiece's physical position in the x,y, and z axes and keeps it steadier.  It helps to be seated so as to not jar the whole optical train while doing this.  Once trained, you can remove your left hand for extended viewing.  I would guess the entire method could be reversed using the right hand and cheek for right eyed viewers.  It's also handy to keep from smudging your eyeglasses on the eyecup because you know when to stop moving inward after a while.  I didn't set out to invent this method, I just found myself doing it naturally one night.

Archived