SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium with StarSense

Spacedout

Hello All,

I have just received delivery of the Starsense camera and I was wondering if if was possible to use with Stellaruim?   I want to use a pc to control the scope remotely if possible.  

Many thanks

Karl

Got a Starsense myself and love it. Bearing in mind it is only used for aligning the mount I can't see any reason why it would stop Stellarium from working (but I've never tried controlling a scope from a PC before). 

Thank you both, I tried it last night and it worked.  The only problem I found which I need to sort is that it can only be used as a goto.  There does not seem to be an option to use directional keys.  This is not good as if the target is slightly off I have no way of centering the object!  More research needed but a step in the right direction at least :)  

Many thanks

Karl 

• 3 weeks later...
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 08:48, Spacedout said:

Thank you both, I tried it last night and it worked.  The only problem I found which I need to sort is that it can only be used as a goto.  There does not seem to be an option to use directional keys.  This is not good as if the target is slightly off I have no way of centering the object!  More research needed but a step in the right direction at least :)  

Many thanks

Karl 

Karl, if your object is consistently  slightly off after GOTOs, check three things with your StarSense hand controller (not remotely by PC control). You do so via 'menu' before pressing 'align'.

1. Set location using precise long/lat. In the UK using "cities" isn't wholly reliable.

2. Time /Date is material. I forgot about daylight saving time then wondered why all my goto were 15 degrees west! Note there is also another HC setting for 'time source'. You might need to point this at your favoured PC APP.

3. Calibrate the StarSense camera very precisely. Start with a large focal length EP, then progressively get down to 'centre' the chosen star in one as short as possible. I dont have a cross hair EP, and never did see tge check mark. So I did this a couple of times with an 8mm EP and now I get astonishing goto precision on "Sky Tour".

Lastly, particularly for Celestron Evolution users and it's WiFi; when using Sky Portal. It seems to ignore your tablet 'location' settings except on first alignment.  I suspect Stellarium may possibly be similar? You might have to reset these and calibrate the camera using ONLY your hand controller before reverting to tablet/PC  device, which thereafter only seems to manage date/time (whatever its location settings). The HC stored location data seems to take precedence!

My guess is camera calibration is your most likely issue especially if in a narrow FOV EPS.  But select "London" under cities when you live in Bedford will inevitably be out in a high power EP with narrow FOV. So follow steps 1, 2, 3. Use long/lat.

To be frank, I gave up with my EVO's WiFi after figuring this out on my (grab & go) NextStar SE4 and now I use SkyPortal OFF line only as a star chart. Trying to accurately swipe a slew button on an Android device with no tactile feedback is as challenging as your problem on a PC where slew simply isn't working (check 'time source'). The StarSense HC is excellent once you work out its idiosyncrasies  (like 'back' means accept and go forward: whilst 'enter' means go back to change data!).  I also no longer worry about stepping on my Android. Stargazing shouldn't require three hands.

Thanks Noah,

My Goto with Starsense is actually pretty good the problem I had was when linked to Stellarium the two were not quite synced.  However, I how now sussed that and I'm also using the Stellarium scope which gives me the directional keys.  Now I have a new sue though I'm hoping you might know about.  The other night I was right next to my intended target and pressed the normal goto through Stellarium but rather than the scope going left a tad to the target the scope decided to go in the opposite direction and do almost a 360 to get on the target!!  I then used Stellarium scope to slew manually slew very close to the target and still when I used the Goto to get it centre the scope went off again to do a 360!  Any ideas how to sort that one?

Thanks again

Karl

• 2 weeks later...
On 6 May 2016 at 21:34, Spacedout said:

Thanks Noah,

My Goto with Starsense is actually pretty good the problem I had was when linked to Stellarium the two were not quite synced.  However, I how now sussed that and I'm also using the Stellarium scope which gives me the directional keys.  Now I have a new sue though I'm hoping you might know about.  The other night I was right next to my intended target and pressed the normal goto through Stellarium but rather than the scope going left a tad to the target the scope decided to go in the opposite direction and do almost a 360 to get on the target!!  I then used Stellarium scope to slew manually slew very close to the target and still when I used the Goto to get it centre the scope went off again to do a 360!  Any ideas how to sort that one?

Thanks again

Karl

I have had just this issue recently.

A couple of weeks ago, I setup

• CGEM D, mount levelled - with 3' spirit level,
  • polar aligned (Polar scope)
  • star sense alignment
  • added 4 calibration stars
  • set up tellurium scope per instructions (are installing and starting Stellarium).

I was then able to select a Stellarium target and saw - all was well.

Since Friday, repeating all of the above, when I select a Stellarium target and slew, the mount tries to turn the OTA 180 RA and Dec.

NOTE - tries, after a bit I stop it as it'll rip all my cables out.

Any suggestions welcome.

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 08:48, Spacedout said:

Many thanks

Karl 

Karl, if your object is consistently  slightly off after GOTOs, check three things with your StarSense hand controller (not remotely by PC control). You do so via 'menu' before pressing 'align'.

1. Set location using precise long/lat. In the UK using "cities" isn't wholly reliable.

2. Time /Date is material. I forgot about daylight saving time then wondered why all my goto were 15 degrees west! Note there is also another HC setting for 'time source'. You might need to point this at your favoured PC APP.

3. Calibrate the StarSense camera very precisely. Start with a large focal length EP, then progressively get down to 'centre' the chosen star in one as short as possible. I dont have a cross hair EP, and never did see tge check mark. So I did this a couple of times with an 8mm EP and now I get astonishing goto precision on "Sky Tour".

Lastly, particularly for Celestron Evolution users and it's WiFi; when using Sky Portal. It seems to ignore your tablet 'location' settings except on first alignment.  I suspect Stellarium may possibly be similar? You might have to reset these and calibrate the camera using ONLY your hand controller before reverting to tablet/PC  device, which thereafter only seems to manage date/time (whatever its location settings). The HC stored location data seems to take precedence!

My guess is camera calibration is your most likely issue especially if in a narrow FOV EPS.  But select "London" under cities when you live in Bedford will inevitably be out in a high power EP with narrow FOV. So follow steps 1, 2, 3. Use long/lat.

To be frank, I gave up with my EVO's WiFi after figuring this out on my (grab & go) NextStar SE4 and now I use SkyPortal OFF line only as a star chart. Trying to accurately swipe a slew button on an Android device with no tactile feedback is as challenging as your problem on a PC where slew simply isn't working (check 'time source'). The StarSense HC is excellent once you work out its idiosyncrasies  (like 'back' means accept and go forward: whilst 'enter' means go back to change data!).  I also no longer worry about stepping on my Android. Stargazing shouldn't require three hands.

I don't know why it went 360 degrees in the less obvious direction, but have a theory. Is there perhaps a setting that prevents 'cord wrap'?  If yes, maybe it was trying to unravel itself (which you might have already resolved).  It might also want to first return to its 'home' position. I recall witnessing this once, but don't have a clue why. But then my wife can drive 30 miles when the sat-nav says ten. Maybe Starsense and she are related.

I've never had a problem with StarSense; using SkyPortal, SkySafari or the handset.

Yes I have cord warp on.

It is only when I use Stellarium - and it is not consistent. 

This evening I have set up, had Stellarium starting to try a 180, stopped it. Used th controller to pick a target, then after that, for a few targets Stellarium was fine, then ran riot again... then settled.

I like Stellarium - before this weekend when it went funny on me it was great.... been trying most of the evening to find a pattern, no joy yet, but I can be a stubborn .....

Archived