SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pier position in a Pulsar 2.2 Dome

sloz1664

I'm about to collect a Pulsar 2.2 metre Dome and was just wondering. Do I position the Pier central to the Dome or do I need to offset it to compensate for my EQ6 mount. I know it would differ if I upgraded to a Mesu 200...... One of those 2 am wide awake moments :help: 

Diy build photos to follow :)

Steve

34 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I have had both an EQ6 and a Mesu 200 in my Pulsar Observatory and I aimed for a central pier - this has worked well for me.

Your composite picture idea from the book is playing no small part in my charm offensive on my long haired general! Might wait for the next house move though as a little close to Birmingham at present

40 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I have had both an EQ6 and a Mesu 200 in my Pulsar Observatory and I aimed for a central pier - this has worked well for me.

Thanks Steve. Central it is :)

Btw I will be looking at fully automating the Pulsar when I retire in July. I may need a little help :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Steve

Unless you plan to put a monster scope in there central would be OK, what is the offset on an EQ6, just a couple of inches?

One thing I would recommend if your not getting one (or more) is a side pod for a PC or other storage, it really keeps the floor area clear so the feeling of space is greater especially if you put some ducting under the floor to route the cables, I used a vacuum cleaner pipe with a permanent bit of string in it for cable pulling

18 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

I'm about to collect a Pulsar 2.2 metre Dome and was just wondering. Do I position the Pier central to the Dome or do I need to offset it to compensate for my EQ6 mount. I know it would differ if I upgraded to a Mesu 200...... One of those 2 am wide awake moments :help: 

Diy build photos to follow :)

Steve

Hi Steve,

a friend has a 2.2 and EQ8 mount, centrally positioned with a 14 inch Meade, no issues - although it is a bit tight. He also opted for the pod at the side, makes the world of difference.

I had a 2.7 and big mount and also a large SCT and central position as well, it makes little difference in the scheme of things.

looking forward to the pictures, they really are great domes and well built.

Hope you enjoy.

• 4 years later...

Following on this older thread:

I am looking at the 2.7m full Pulsar obs, but a CGX-L and something like a quattro 10” for the appeture and f4 benefits, just not sure a 1000mm tube with the dew shield will fit.

Thoughts?

I have two Esprit 150s side by side on a central mounted pier in mine, you couldn’t hold a star party in there that’s for sure, and things are a bit tight up in the dome when slewing, but that is because I have extended dew shields and lasers mounted up near the top of the aperture.

Just now, BigMisterP said:

Thanks, the OTA is about 700mm, with dew shield c625, so, expect it will fit.

I have a 10” 1200mm Newtonian in my 2.2m dome along side another scope. Fits ok 👍🏻 But wouldn’t hold the 12” 1500mm newt without tweaking pier height and adding weight to short balancing point back

06651101-5C5D-4035-8528-ED783C116E3A.jpeg

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

I have a 10” 1200mm Newtonian in my 2.2m dome along side another scope. Fits ok 👍🏻 But wouldn’t hold the 12” 1500mm newt without tweaking pier height and adding weight to short balancing point back

That’s good news..... I was sure I could get the OTA in with dew shield, and it looks doable.

@steppenwolf has also noted use of a dehumidifier while not imaging, so, a combo should do.

Now - to consider when to try to convince Finance Mgr to support the PO for this project.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Pulsar this very question, and Steve replied that

There is no fixed offset, we generally just move a pier an inch to the south. I have no doubt doubt the scope will fit.
A 2.7 dome has a guideline internal diameter of 2.5 meters to account for the internal dome flange and any security clamps. They have an external footprint if 2.6m, and the dome top is 2.7m at its widest point.

I was referring to a Quattro 10CF on CGX-L mount and their pier.

HTH