Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from West Yorkshire

Retro Gear

Hi Everyone

Just joined Stargazer lounge and thought I'd say hello. I'm 65 and retired and living in West Yorkshire. My parents bought me my first telescope when I was 14, a 3” refractor from Dixons in Liverpool. At the time it was wonderful and I had great enjoyment from it - I still have it (for sentimental reasons) but it's not in use. I currently have a Meade LX200 12” which was purchased around 2002 set up in an outside observatory. I'm afraid it's been nothing but trouble from the start (mainly the mount), but lets not go there. Sufficient to say I haven't used it in many years. I'm now in a position where I would like to rediscover my hobby and I'm in the process of researching new equipment with a view to purchasing this year (in the next few months I hope). I'm hoping to get a refractor since I really enjoy Planetary/Moon/Solar observing. The plan is to get a new mount, refractor and keep the LX200 OTA for deep sky obs. Imaging will hopefully come later.

I'm currently looking through the various post about equipment etc.. and hope to pick the communities brains in due course. Looking forward to the next year and getting my gear together with guidance from Stargazer members.

Kind regards

Will  :hello:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Will,

Welcome to SGL and I'm sure you will find plenty of help and advice from all on here. If you fancy popping over to one of our meetings for a chat at Wakefield please feel free. The next one is on the 21st and feature's a guest speaker detailed on our website (wakefield and district astronomical society)

Cheers

Hi Will,

Good to see you rekindling an old hobby.  I would do as Damian says and go see them. Not sure about Damian, but I'm sure the rest are good people. :evil4:

A sense of humour is a requisite attribute methinks .:p

Derek

Welcome to the forum.

But you won't have much time to spend here, now that you're retired and all the things that need doing have to be done ... so much so that you don't have a minute to yourself and can't imagine how you ever had time to work. ??

Enjoy.

Hi Will and welcome to SGL - There's loads of helpful and knowlegeable folks of the forum that will be able to offer you thoughtful and well considered insight..... They'll also LOVE spending your money :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello Will, and welcome from the other side of the hill!  Retirement certainly helps with this pastime - I wouldn't normally be in the garden at 2am.  

There's a wealth of knowledge in this forum, and members who are keen to share it.

The Meade looks an impressive instrument - what a focal length/aperture for high magnifications!  Shame you experienced problems with it.

Doug.

Archived