SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does using Dither with Darks make sense ?

Hi,

On my DSLR I can set the temperature. This means i can exactly match the temp of my lights and darks. Given I can do the above, is there any advantage in using dither ? - or maybe the question is - if you use dither can you use your darks library at all ?

Thanks

Alistair

You don't need to dither darks and yes you can use the darks library. All dithering does is move the image wrt to pixels on the CCD each pixel still has the same dark level etc. and is independent of dither.

Regards Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Not sure why I am struggling with this concept at the moment. I understand that dithering moves the image wrt the pixels, but I thought this was a technique used so that hot pixels 'moves' to a different part of the image. Anyway if I have a set of lights that I have dithered, then I can still stack with my dark library as I would normally in DSS ?

Thanks

Alistair

Archived