Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

stevie1980

is there a certain time of night that the GRS can be seen?

Recommended Posts

hello all

 silly question here.. is there a certain time/date that the GRS is visible, im asking this question because ive been out on the garden everytime its a clear night and only on the 4th of this month i managed to see the GRS. 

is this my camera that might be playing up or is it to do with the earth temps and bad seeing that stop it from being visible.

also this might sound strange but i saw two  ufo's flirting with my field of view on the 6th ,going straight under jupiter,when i say ufo's i mean the ISS  or something .i could not see it with the naked eye. i seen the same object twice that night ,maybe 45 mins apart from each other. i know it wasnt close to jupiter but it was not a airplane or anything in our skies.

 steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the info guys, very much appreciated.so all being well and if the seeing allows then i will be out again tonight.... my god im hooked on this hobby :)  cant wait to get my first saturn view next.patiently waiting until june.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

Saturn is really something!

yes i cant wait until i can get a good view. im counting the days lol

Edited by stevie1980

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

yes i cant wait until i can get a good view. im counting the days lol

I got some great views of Saturn last summer. One evening in July I observed a twilight setting Jupiter and Venus (both are often better observed in twilight) and eventually watched Saturn rising a few hours later. It was one of those nights where the seeing was quite good as well. I nearly waited for the Moon to rise but I'd been out several hours and if I hadn't packed up I'd have probably fallen to sleep on the lawn lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I got some great views of Saturn last summer. One evening in July I observed a twilight setting Jupiter and Venus (both are often better observed in twilight) and eventually watched Saturn rising a few hours later. It was one of those nights where the seeing was quite good as well. I nearly waited for the Moon to rise but I'd been out several hours and if I hadn't packed up I'd have probably fallen to sleep on the lawn lol.

lol.. id love to see some of your pics.do you have them on here? i cant stay out here for longer than an hour especially the past two nights with the rain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

lol.. id love to see some of your pics.do you have them on here? i cant stay out here for longer than an hour especially the past two nights with the rain

I didn't take any pictures, I'm not up on AP, it's way over my head lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I didn't take any pictures, I'm not up on AP, it's way over my head lol.

i get the pun lol way over your head lol. im loving the challenge of AP  but its also very distressing when i cant get the perfect focus. i think a bahtinov mask is the next purchase for me. i did some visual on the moon last night for the first time using my new ZWO and was amazing. i still have a hell of a lot to learn, but with help from you guys i will get there in the end. what scope do you use if you dont mind me asking

additional: ive looked at the moon a few time using my EP/and modded webcam.last night was the first time ive used my zwo on the moon and blew me away.the difference is somewot  noticeable

Edited by stevie1980

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

i get the pun lol way over your head lol. im loving the challenge of AP  but its also very distressing when i cant get the perfect focus. i think a bahtinov mask is the next purchase for me. i did some visual on the moon last night for the first time using my new ZWO and was amazing. i still have a hell of a lot to learn, but with help from you guys i will get there in the end. what scope do you use if you dont mind me asking

additional: ive looked at the moon a few time using my EP/and modded webcam.last night was the first time ive used my zwo on the moon and blew me away.the difference is somewot  noticeable

I have a 130mm SW Explorer (Newtonian), a 102mm Skymax (Maksutov) and a 90mm Omegon (Maksutov). In a couple of weeks I'll be getting a 235mm SCT, and hopefully good weather for the Mars Opposition.

I love lunar viewing, although us 'loonies' appear to be a minority in the astro community lol. If you really like lunar viewing the Virtual Moon Atlas is a must have: http://ap-i.net/avl/en/start

This is cool as well: http://target.lroc.asu.edu/q3/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

I have a 130mm SW Explorer (Newtonian), a 102mm Skymax (Maksutov) and a 90mm Omegon (Maksutov). In a couple of weeks I'll be getting a 235mm SCT, and hopefully good weather for the Mars Opposition.

I love lunar viewing, although us 'loonies' appear to be a minority in the astro community lol. If you really like lunar viewing the Virtual Moon Atlas is a must have: http://ap-i.net/avl/en/start

This is cool as well: http://target.lroc.asu.edu/q3/

great,ill take look at that. everybody has to start somewere, everybody starts off viewing the moon lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stevie1980 said:

great,ill take look at that. everybody has to start somewere, everybody starts off viewing the moon lol

VMA is very good. You have a lot of choice of installers though, and some of them are huge. It installs quite simply on Linux but you have to run the installer binaries after downloading them on Windows. It runs on Win 7 anyway.

vma1.jpg

These are the installers I use for VMA. First run the main app installer <virtualmoon-6.0-windows> then the update <virtualmoon_update-6.1-576-windows> and then basically choose what you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

VMA is very good. You have a lot of choice of installers though, and some of them are huge. It installs quite simply on Linux but you have to run the installer binaries after downloading them on Windows. It runs on Win 7 anyway.

vma1.jpg

These are the installers I use for VMA. First run the main app installer <virtualmoon-6.0-windows> then the update <virtualmoon_update-6.1-576-windows> and then basically choose what you want.

great ,im a win 7 user anyway  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevie1980 said:

great ,im a win 7 user anyway  :) 

It should be fine on Win 7. It's coded by Patrick Chevalley who also develops Cartes du Ciel.

http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/download

I use VMA and CDC on Win 7. I used to use Stellarium on Windows (Vista & 7) but about four years ago they changed the rendering engine and it started to push the Windows BIOS clock forward a couple of seconds when launched. So I stopped running Stellarium on Windows but I still use it on Ubuntu.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.