SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 shaky issue

astrosathya

Background: About a year ago my HEQ5-Pro took a nasty fall and the point of impact was the front face (North side) of the polar scope opening. The gears were dislodged and the plastic case suffered cracks. I followed Astro-Baby's tutorial, disassembled the mount, reset the gears and all was hunky dory. I do not remember when, but during the following imaging session I noticed a slight shake in the RA axis, even if the clutch was tightened. This shake did not affect my images whatsoever, but the shake kept nagging my brain and I finally decided to resolve it last night. Once again I removed every bit of the RA section up until the worm and gear and reassembled it back assuming that a tightening of the set screw would solve the issue. However that was not the case. I then decided to make a video and post a link to Youtube. If any of you experts out there can help, I'd be very grateful. To view the video, click here. Please turn the volume up so that you can hear the clicking of what I presume is a broken bearing (or two).

When you fully reassembled the mount did you tighten the worm gear end bearing locators and perform the worm gear play adjustment as described by Astrobaby?   Time spent on this procedure should remove all unnecessary play around the main bearing and worm gear.  Having play when the mount is disassembled is not so strange I think?

33 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

When you fully reassembled the mount did you tighten the worm gear end bearing locators and perform the worm gear play adjustment as described by Astrobaby?   Time spent on this procedure should remove all unnecessary play around the main bearing and worm gear.  Having play when the mount is disassembled is not so strange I think?

Chris,

I recorded the play when the mount was disassembled because when fully assembled it is less visible, though very obvious to the user. I did the usual tightening of the worm set screws and the manual turning of the gears/axes by hand. Everything fits and works just fine. The problem hasn't given me trouble while shooting/guiding, but it still nags me.

Archived