Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An evenings EAA Viewing with Starlight Live and a Lodestar-C

DoctorD

Hi

I've published a video of my viewing session as broadcast on Video Astronomy Live on the 17th March 2016 speeded up by x16 so you get a whole evening in 12 minutes!

This shows what can be achieved despite living in a Red Zone (Bortle 6-7) with local light pollution too. 

Equipment:

C8 on HEQ5 with F3.3 reducer

Lodestar-C

Starlight Live

EQMAC

Sky Safari Plus V1.8

Enjoy

Paul

Fantastic video Paul and sums up what we do perfectly!  I think it's an excellent presentation of what to expect from a typical broadcast and it really shows what we all love about video astronomy.  Near live (or live in some cases) views shared live over a video stream and accessible by anyone with an internet connection, what's not to like about VA/EAA!   

Thanks for the plug too, would you mind if I put this on VAL for visitors? :icon_biggrin:  

Hi Karl

Please feel free to use the video on VAL - let me know if you'd like the original (non Youtubed) version - it's about 500MB - I could probably put it on DropBox.

Thanks for the feedback Andrew - glad you liked it live and speeded up!.

CS

Paul

Great job, Doc!  Clever idea, too.  What software do you use to broadcast the image and the screen shot?  Camtwist?

We're planning on doing a broadcast from the MK VIS and I have the same setup as you.  MacBook Pro and Paul's SLL.

Thanks,

Don

Thanks for taking the time to put this together for us to enjoy Paul - fascinating and informative to see a full session compressed in this way. Looks like you picked up a lot of objects during your three hour session, much better than I usually manage! Also interesting to see the light pollution that you have to contend with which make your results all the more impressive.  My conditions are similar but fortunately EAA/VA is able to cut through the LP. :) 

Great video - we ought to pin this on this forum too for new folks to look at. 

Just so I'm clear, OBS lets you do the live "recording" of your screen?  Is there a way to do voiceover to describe what you are doing?

Alex

Hi Alex

Yes, OBS allows you to record specific windows on your desktop (with cropping & scaling), switching between windows with transitions is also possible, and you can select an audio source, including a microphone - fantastic piece of software primarily aimed at on-line streaming but with file save available simultaneously.

HTH

Paul

On 4/12/2016 at 14:49, DoctorD said:

Hi Karl

Please feel free to use the video on VAL - let me know if you'd like the original (non Youtubed) version - it's about 500MB - I could probably put it on DropBox.

Thanks for the feedback Andrew - glad you liked it live and speeded up!.

CS

Paul

Thanks Paul, your edited version is best to use I think.  That said, since your last broadcast I have now set all channels to record auto so next show I'll have full version for those who miss the live version. 

Best wishes

Karl

Hi DoctorD

great video!

I am trying to get started in EAA and EAO and have got for casual use a Celestron 6 infinity with star sense automatic goto alignment (very useful at saving time) I also have an equatorial Celestron 9.25 on an advanced VX (in an observatory pod at the end of the garden) but I guess you could call me a 'casual' observer imager as I can't stand fiddling in the cold trying to get polar aligned etc I am sure you know what I mean. In retrospect a the observatory has been a waste of time and money . So here I am trying to get a setup going from the comfort of my house in front of a pc!

I am torn between the Lodestar x2 or the Atik infinity but I am sure that in the end I will make the right choice. The one question I would like to ask is this: you said the equipment you used included a Celestron 3.3 FR although I cannot find any mention of Celestron manufacturing one only Meade, and I am currently awaiting a second hand  one which I managed to find on Ebay, don't really like using Ebay but had no choice as they are rarer than hens teeth!

So is the FR you mention a Meade or did Celestron make a 3.3? your help would be much appreciated as from what I have read both the Lodestar and Infinity  require as fast an optical system as possible and the Hypestar route is a tad too expensive.

Cheers

Bill (Williamnohair)

as a new comer to astronomy  and hoping to start video astronomy soon lol, this is an awesome video very inspirational.

will be using a skywatcher 200p on a motorised EQ5 with a Samsung sb200 clone video camera. just hope I can get some where near what you get.

any advice on best software to use for recording the video ? will be using a laptop with windows 10.

thanks

Hi

I started with a SDC435 which is pretty much the same as the SCB2000 - fantastic on the brighter Messier objects, I think you'll get hooked pretty quickly.

Let us know how you get on.

CS

Paul

Hi Keltoi

Sorry I missed your question about video capture - I cannot help really as I use a Mac - however OBS is available in Windows and mac versions (free!) and  can capture a window and stream and.or save to a file but you'd still need a video capture program to work with your video dongle.

HTH

Paul

Archived