SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AR2529 10th April 16

Swisscheese

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Very nice Isabelle , better weather than down here.

Dave

There were thin layers of clouds around later in the afternoon. So, I guess it is not the ideal situation for imaging. But hey ho, when you live in Scotland, you take any sunshine you get!!! :-)

7 minutes ago, Swisscheese said:

There were thin layers of clouds around later in the afternoon. So, I guess it is not the ideal situation for imaging. But hey ho, when you live in Scotland, you take any sunshine you get!!! :-)

Wasn't the guy who sang "Why does it always rain on me" Scottish :)

Dave

10 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice catch of the monster AR. What instrument did you use? I do get the impression that it is just outside of the main H-alpha band. Some filamentous structure is showing, but the penumbra is a lot more prominent than what I get when the etalon is exactly on band

Thank you Michael, I'm afraid, that was my very first go at imaging. So far I used the telescope only for visual observing. I've recently bought a ZWO174MM camera, so I was playing around with brightness, exposure and focus etc. I am totally new to imaging and most certainly on how to use registax and Photoshop. 

On the black and white still pictures I took, I can see the filaments much better though. 

3 minutes ago, Swisscheese said:

Thank you Michael, I'm afraid, that was my very first go at imaging. So far I used the telescope only for visual observing. I've recently bought a ZWO174MM camera, so I was playing around with brightness, exposure and focus etc. I am totally new to imaging and most certainly on how to use registax and Photoshop. 

On the black and white still pictures I took, I can see the filaments much better though. 

Very good first effort I would say. I think the biggest improvement you could get is in the tuning of the scope. As a rule of thumb, you can watch the histogram of the image while tuning. On band the image is darker than off band, so the bulge in the histogram moves to left while approaching the optimum, and moves right as you move away. 

Clear skies!

2 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very good first effort I would say. I think the biggest improvement you could get is in the tuning of the scope. As a rule of thumb, you can watch the histogram of the image while tuning. On band the image is darker than off band, so the bulge in the histogram moves to left while approaching the optimum, and moves right as you move away. 

Clear skies!

I just quickly plugged in the camera to find the image histogram on Sharpcap. Got it. I will use your instructions next time it is set up! Thanks a million.

Archived