Narrowband

April 10th - HAlpha and White Light, a traumatic day!

paulastro

I was up early and had a good early session, and took lots of frames under good seeing conditions.  Alas, at lunch time when I came to process them I lost the files.  (There may be a chance I can recover them, but I'm not holding my breath)  At least it wasn't anything I did, but a failure of hardware I won't bore you with. So there I was, imageless - but at least the sun was popping out between clouds. After a bit of a panic I rushed to get everything set up again an take some frames.  I was particularly irate as I had some good images of AR2529 in my earlier session.  Anyway, I obtained some frames so all was not a total disaster, though the seeing was much worse in my second session.  I didn't get an image of the full disk in WL alas the second time round.

The HA image was with my Lunt 60mm DS, Olympus E-M5, 500 asa, 1/60 sec, taken at 1.03pm.  The WL images are the same single frame, the latter just a crop of the first.  Equinox 80mm, Lunt H Wedge, 200asa, 1/500 sec, x2 barlow.

P4100753a.jpg

P4100585d.jpgP4100585c.jpg

P4100585c.jpg

34 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Very nicely done, I think this is going to be one of those A/R's that looks like better in white light than H/A. 

I agree with you on that one Pete.  H Alpha is great of course, but it's great to see the development and progress of an AR in white light. 

5 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I agree with you on that one Pete.  H Alpha is great of course, but it's great to see the development and progress of an AR in white light. 

There is something about the detail in the Umbra and Penumbra that looks particularly pleasing in White light images.

Archived