Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

in need of some advice

I recently bought a Nikon D3200 along with a T adaptor an a 2 x Barlow lens. when the adaptor if on the camera I can't adjust the aperture settings, it all works fine with a lens attached. Is this normal? do I need something that goes between the camera and the T adaptor?

Many thanks.

I'm not familiar with Nikon cameras - but I'm sure they have "manual" mode like the Canons. If you check out this link you may find the appropriate mode for manual control of your focus:

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0014426/article/nikon-d3200-beginner-dslr-guided-tour

Don't forget that once you take off the lens and attach it to the scope - the scope is your new lens and the camera can no longer use auto focus. So whatever the Nikon equivalent of Canon "manual mode" is - that's what you most likely need. Hth :)

The camera does have a manual setting, when switched to manual I can adjust the exposure to "bulb" but the "f" setting can't be altered with the T adaptor attached. With a lens on all the settings can be adjusted. I wonder if I need a teleconverter.

If I understand you correctly, you won't be able to adjust the "aperture" or f-ratio setting on your camera because the telescope to which it is attached doesn't have those functions, they are elements of the camera lenses, not telescopes.

However, if you really wanted to stop the telescope down, you could use a cardboard ring over the end and manually reduce the aperture. Not many reasons for doing this though :)

I suspect I may be being a bit dim here, with the T adaptor attached to the camera the aperture setting on the display is very small, I thought that to image DSO's I need the aperture fairly open and the exposure timer set to bulb. Apologies for my dimness.

As above you can't alter the aperture as it is set by the telescope, on Canon cameras you can set up to 30secs in manual mode or any length in bulb mode.

Do a bit of experimenting starting at ISO800  and alter the exposure times to get an image, you'll also need to focus manually, has Nikon got live view ?

Dave

7 hours ago, kalon said:

I suspect I may be being a bit dim here, with the T adaptor attached to the camera the aperture setting on the display is very small, I thought that to image DSO's I need the aperture fairly open and the exposure timer set to bulb. Apologies for my dimness.

As the other posts, the f ratio will be the scopes f ratio.
Don't know about Nikons but if you attach a scope to a Canon it will report f ratio as 00.
It's up to you to set the exposure for whatever your imaging.

As people have already said that when using a camera with a scope your aperture is fixed by the scopes parameters however with the Canon cameras (should also be available for Nikon) you can get chipped adapters that do allow the F ratio number to be changed (this does not physically alter anything) this is useful for Lunar shots because it allows the Live View Image to accurately represent the actual exposure.

Chipped adapters for DSO has limited use but could possibly allow you to trick the live view screen to be a little brighter for focusing on stars.

Alan

I have a Nikon D3200 and have a little experience of using it to take moonshots.

I was puzzled at first because I could not get live view to work. On checking the manual it appears that live view function is not available when the camera lens is removed.

I used the camera viewfinder, which I prefer, and I got acceptably sharp pictures.

Archived