Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My New TEC 140

Hi all,

So here she is - my brand new TEC 140 serial number 690.  I spent some of the money from my late wife Yvonne's legacy on this scope and I dedicate it to her.

I've been dealing with Yuri Petrunin at TEC over the last year. I put my deposit down last October (2015) and it was delivered today 8th April 2016.  It has cost me, duties included, the princely sum of nigh on £6000.  This is the scope I have always wanted, the scope I have coveted.  That is a lot of money for a scope, for sure.  However, my reasoning is that I ought to go for it whilst I am earning good money, and, er, I don't have to answer to a wife or girlfriend at the minute :happy11: (GF vacancy open if anyone interested!!!).

First impressions is the size of it.  It is HUGE!!!!  It is one thing to look at ruler and think, yeah, 140mm objective is not THAT big.  But, boy, when you see it in the flesh it is a monster!  The quality of the scope is something to behold.  As much as I love my ED80, this is a different class altogether in terms of the build quality.

It is on my NEQ6 at the moment. That will soon become a MESU 200 after I have sorted out my tax return!

Not yet had the privilege of first light with the scope as yet. I look forward to some great AP with this scope and some lunar visual observations.

Steve

IMG_8898.jpgIMG_8900.jpg

IMG_8901.jpgIMG_8906.jpgIMG_0879.jpgIMG_8907.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, become Steve's GF or abscond with his scope? Difficult one. After 0.00000001 nanosecond I decided to go for the scope!

These are just so nice. Great for imaging and great for visual - and so well made and well deisgned. No need for carbon fibre and red anodising when you are making something as it should be made. It stands alone. Clear skies, Steve.

Olly

Thats superb Steve :icon_cool:

I've read enough of Olly's raving about these to appreciate what a class act the scope is. Probably wasted just for visual use that I'd use it for but I'd love to look through one anyway :D

Well Steve you've finally got hold of Miss Tec 140 :hello2: That is a sight to behold, it's huge and looks fantastic. Can't wait for your first light report.

I can see my car heading for RoT in the near future :happy7:

Steve

Congrats Steve.  Looking at that fifth photo, the phrase, 'the happy couple' kept coming to mind.

When are we going to see some photos through the scope rather than of the scope, though?

That's a wonderful scope and a lovely dedication:-).

John, I'm sure this scope will deliver fabulous photo images, but as a visual only man like you,  I could never see only looking through the scope visually as a waste, sorry:-).

Just a beautiful piece of engineering artwork.

Dave

Lovely bit of kit Steve, you can always use the Tak as a finder :)

Six grand and no case, why is it the really cheap scopes come with a nice case and the really expensive ones come in a cardboard box ?

Dave

32 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Six grand and no case, why is it the really cheap scopes come with a nice case and the really expensive ones come in a cardboard box ?

Dave

Ha ha, that's funny, Tak relegated to being a finderscope ?

13 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Dave

Well you can buy a scopeguard case for an extra $490 at time of ordering the TEC :)  I'm going to get a custom one made.

On 4/8/2016 at 20:32, sloz1664 said:

Well Steve you've finally got hold of Miss Tec 140 :hello2: That is a sight to behold, it's huge and looks fantastic. Can't wait for your first light report.

I can see my car heading for RoT in the near future :happy7:

Steve

Come over any time mate. PM me as and when it's clear.

Mr Kirkster,

I am very sorry for you're troubles - clouds. Unfortunately you are also suffering from a case of "only wanting what you haven't got". In this case, clear skies. On top of that we are approaching the summer months i.e. less darkness at night ?

I think what I am really try to say is that since you have now got you're cake you are now going to have to wait a while to eat it ?

I am sure, however, that it will be all the sweeter when it happens.

On 08/04/2016 at 21:22, kirkster501 said:

Well you can buy a scopeguard case for an extra $490 at time of ordering the TEC :)  I'm going to get a custom one made.

For my somewhat cheaper APM 140 F/7, I remained consistently mean and bought a cheap but fully functional case for around £60.  Trifibre sell these as drum cases.  The shop link for the case I bought is here: https://store.trifibre.co.uk/drum-hardware-case-39x12x12.html, but at the time of writing the site has a bad certificate so you may have a problem with the link.  The main site entry is here: http://www.trifibre.co.uk/index/.

Archived