Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Recommended Posts

Hello all. Just wondered if anyone uses these, how do they find them and where can you get them in the uk.

Also I read they have adaptors to make them fit some of their eyepieces, such as the Nagler 26mm. Can these adaptors be used for other eyepieces from other providers.

TIA

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of Dioptrx correctors and use them with a selection of Televue Panoptics and Radian eyepieces for occasional live viewing, I mostly only do imaging these days so they are only used a few times a year but they do make viewing at the eyepiece so much easier if you are a spectacle wearer.

I bought my first one around ten years ago from Green-Witch, the link is here: http://www.green-witch.com/televue-dioptrx-2428-p.asp and bought a second one four years ago.

The only things I would say to watch for when ordering is if possible speak to your optician first and see if they will retest your astigmatism in low light conditions, normally astigmatism is tested at indoor lighting levels and the eyes pupil is constricted which naturally reduces the astigmatism correction factor. If you order a Dioptrx based on your usual opticians test report it will be a bit under corrected when observing at night when the eyes pupil is dilated, both my Dioptrx are 0.5 diopter higher strength than my daytime glasses prescription was at the time I ordered them and these were fine for quite a while, be prepared also to have to replace them as you get older, astigmatism is not fixed and will change over time, in ten years my astigmatism has changed from +1.5 to + 6.5.

The Dioptrx correctors are designed to fit in place of the rubber eyecups on the Televue eyepiece so it is unlikely they will fit another brand unless the eyecup fitting is identical, the Dioptrx corrector has it's own rubber eyecup so the eyepieces look the same when the dioptrx corrector is fitted.

In use, you either have to rotate the whole eyepiece in the focuser or the dioptrx corrector on the eyepiece barrel so that the astigmatism correction angle matches your prescription, this means you will need to readjust the angle when slewing to a new target since the angle the eyepiece presents to your eye will have changed.

HTH

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve,

I have been considering these myself, of late, because my observing  eye prescription is now something like 2 Diopter different.

I remember a post in SGL , that I read sometime back, which confirmed that the Dioptrx do fit, LVW, and  one or two other makes of eyepiece, but I could not say which.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you gentlemen, those replies are most helpful.

I shall take the website info along to the optician re: Dioptrx and get them to provide advice before I go shelling out. Due to the price i am only looking to buy one which would be interchangeable between eyepieces but I need to compare the fittings as I am hopeful the Nikon fitting in the same as some of the other compatible TV eyepieces. if this were the case, I really would be chuffed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use one, it fits the Nagler 26 OK. I keep meaning to get another to save a bit of time when switching eyepieces. It does reduce the eye relief a bit so I have to have its eye guard down with the Nagler and Ethos but still see the full fov. With the Delos  I can have the eye guard up because of their clever twist eye relief mechanism. So you need to consider the eye relief effect on non televue's as well as the fitting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scooot said:

I use one, it fits the Nagler 26 OK. I keep meaning to get another to save a bit of time when switching eyepieces. It does reduce the eye relief a bit so I have to have its eye guard down with the Nagler and Ethos but still see the full fov. With the Delos  I can have the eye guard up because of their clever twist eye relief mechanism. So you need to consider the eye relief effect on non televue's as well as the fitting.

Nikon ER is 16mm Richard so losing a little without the need for glasses wont be a biggie. The Nikons appear compatible which is brilliant. The 26mm nagler and radians all are and the vixen LVW, I might be onto something here. This could be a revelation to my viewing, I was considering surgery as a final option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried mine with a 20mm 100° ES which was 14mm eye relief and that was no good but as you say I think the Nikon with 16mm wil be ok. I've just remembered I'd saved this link about them from when I was thinking of buying them, which might be of interest. I find using them a great help because I don't need glasses to read but I do for distance, so I don't have to keep putting on and taking off specs, which I also have to do even when wearing my contact lenses.

 

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scooot said:

I tried mine with a 20mm 100° ES which was 14mm eye relief and that was no good but as you say I think the Nikon with 16mm wil be ok. I've just remembered I'd saved this link about them from when I was thinking of buying them, which might be of interest. I find using them a great help because I don't need glasses to read but I do for distance, so I don't have to keep putting on and taking off specs, which I also have to do even when wearing my contact lenses.

 

Brilliant Richard, the eyepieces I sent I just sent back are both compatible with them then. I will cancel the return and get the relevant fittings. They were the LVW 8mm and the ES82 6.7mm. Bwilliant :hello2:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2016 at 15:14, Oddsocks said:

I have a couple of Dioptrx correctors and use them with a selection of Televue Panoptics and Radian eyepieces for occasional live viewing, I mostly only do imaging these days so they are only used a few times a year but they do make viewing at the eyepiece so much easier if you are a spectacle wearer.

I bought my first one around ten years ago from Green-Witch, the link is here: http://www.green-witch.com/televue-dioptrx-2428-p.asp and bought a second one four years ago.

The only things I would say to watch for when ordering is if possible speak to your optician first and see if they will retest your astigmatism in low light conditions, normally astigmatism is tested at indoor lighting levels and the eyes pupil is constricted which naturally reduces the astigmatism correction factor. If you order a Dioptrx based on your usual opticians test report it will be a bit under corrected when observing at night when the eyes pupil is dilated, both my Dioptrx are 0.5 diopter higher strength than my daytime glasses prescription was at the time I ordered them and these were fine for quite a while, be prepared also to have to replace them as you get older, astigmatism is not fixed and will change over time, in ten years my astigmatism has changed from +1.5 to + 6.5.

The Dioptrx correctors are designed to fit in place of the rubber eyecups on the Televue eyepiece so it is unlikely they will fit another brand unless the eyecup fitting is identical, the Dioptrx corrector has it's own rubber eyecup so the eyepieces look the same when the dioptrx corrector is fitted.

In use, you either have to rotate the whole eyepiece in the focuser or the dioptrx corrector on the eyepiece barrel so that the astigmatism correction angle matches your prescription, this means you will need to readjust the angle when slewing to a new target since the angle the eyepiece presents to your eye will have changed.

HTH

A very uefull point to know in the first place but the last bit, yeah extremely useful. I can picture myself stood there scratching my head :laugh2:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2016 at 20:52, Saganite said:

Hi Steve,

 Just found the review I remember. It is in Members Equipment review on SGL , dated 22/11/2012.

Hope that helps

Found it buddy, that is so very useful. cheers :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the tops of the eyepieces measure 41-44mm, and have a lip or a straight surface at that point, a DioptRx is compatible.

TeleVue also makes adapters for the Nagler Type 6 and small Panoptics, and these may fit some other eyepieces,

but I don't know the adjustment ranges of those.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in knowing how you get on with the Dioptrix solution. The notion of rotating the EP when slewing never appealed to me so I just use long eye relief EPs with my glasses. Maybe I overestimate the amount of faffing around with these leses

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.