Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Uranium235

M106 and Buddies (71 + 130)

Last night was clear for a few hours, so I grabbed the Star71 and set up with absolutely no idea what to shoot! In the end I opted for M106 because I had not done it for a couple of years.

However, the Star71 isnt exactly a galaxy buster, so I replaced the M106 core with the version I shot with the 130pds a couple of years ago (at 650mm) - certainly seems to have brought back something! I also ran  it through the annotation software to identify what I had captured. Not everything got a label, there are still a few edge on galaxies I cant identify (yet).

9x720 (L)

Star71 (130pds core), Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking :)

26210784681_7dcbc11c3a_o.jpg

26251202786_524a473e18_o.jpg

• Like 8

Nice catch! With the weather the way it is, sometimes it is just down to shooting whatever appears between the clouds.

Clear skies!

• Like 1

Thanks Michael, I didnt expect so many other fuzzies to be in the general area (33 not including the ones I couldnt get!).

i'd really like to see what you could do with a longer FL scope Rob . supreme image mate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel-K said:

i'd really like to see what you could do with a longer FL scope Rob . supreme image mate.

I'd like to get a 200pds at some point, that should give me a good range (350, 650, 1000). Maybe later in the year if funds allow ;)

• Like 2

Very nice indeed, I also imaged this a couple of nights ago and found some really quite bright and noticeable fuzzies had no catalogue references in the NGC, UGC or PGC catalogues. Out of interest what did you use to annotate the image?

Edited by johnrt

Nice image. Well done! :) 

25 minutes ago, johnrt said:

Very nice indeed, I also imaged this a couple of nights ago and found some really quite bright and noticeable fuzzies had no catalogue references in the NGC, UGC or PGC catalogues. Out of interest what did you use to annotate the image?

Thanks John, I use AstroimageJ (java based image analysis), its free and available here:

http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/

It has a link to the SIMBAD/LEDA database, so all you need to do (after WCS solving) is right click on a fuzzy and it will automatically search a pre-defined radius for your object. The only downside is getting it to output those annotations to a file in a 1:1 scale. What I have to to is zoom in to 100%, save off the current view as a PNG, then move to another part of the image & repeat (to build up a mosaic). I then chuck the whole into ICE where it sticks it all back together for me. However, it does store the annotations to the FITS header, so its easy to keep a track of your progress.

varification.jpg

If you get more than one search result back (they will also appear in the dropdown selection box), its  best to verify you have the right thing by going through the list in the browesr and checking the image (mouse wheel zoom in/out)- but its usually fairly obvious which one it is, unless you come across some really obscure designation.

Its alright for something thats gratis! :)

A sweet bit of composite imaging with a seamless blend of the higher res bit. I think it's important to resist the temptation to overdo the high res. This is totally natural. I'm searching for a word to describe that background sky, too. Oh yes - perfect!

Olly

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

A sweet bit of composite imaging with a seamless blend of the higher res bit. I think it's important to resist the temptation to overdo the high res. This is totally natural. I'm searching for a word to describe that background sky, too. Oh yes - perfect!

Olly

Thanks :) I kept a watchful eye on the left end of the histogram so the black point stats at about 20. Not sure why the annoted version is a little darker, perhaps that happened because of the way the annotation sofware saves its images (.PNG).

Thanks! Fortunately this one was pretty high up, so any slight gradient was easy to get rid of.

i do love these multiple galaxy images and your is well GREAT Rob