Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small grab and go dobsonian mount

At the recent SGLX1 star party I bought from Derek (DRT) his Altair Lightwave 72mm ED Frac which weighs 2.5kgs. I want to take the scope on my Canalboat but also when travelling abroad. Whilst scanning Astro Boot I notice they had the base only of the Skywatcher Heritage 130 Flextube Dobsonian for £29.00. I thought this mount would great to sit on my Canalboat roof when I am moored away from light pollution.

The mount arrived this morning and I have just set it up to observe the Sun using a Lunt Herschel Wedge and 8-24mm TeleVue Zoom.

The system works great - easy to move in alt/az.

Attached a few photos to show the system.

heritage.mount.1.jpg

heritage.mount.2.jpg

24 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Stu you may recall that I was talking with you and Derek and I mentioned that I regret selling my William Optics SD66. Well here is the result of that conversation.

I do indeed remember the conversation Mark. I don't blame you at all, it looked a lovely little thing, compact but just that bit more aperture than the 66, I'm sure it will do very nicely.

23 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I think these fit on a tripod too if you need more height. Or maybe I saw a post where someone had added a bush underneath.

I'm not sure Shane, the 100P lists the base as having a 3/8th thread but the 130 Heritage doesn't. Easy enough to check though :)

The mount does not have a thread underneath. However, I have fitted a Cullmann quick release adapter to fit onto a standard tripod. But to be honest this little mount will fit nicely on my boat's roof. I am going on the boat in middle May for 3 weeks plenty of time to test the system.

5 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

The mount does not have a thread underneath. However, I have fitted a Cullmann quick release adapter to fit onto a standard tripod. But to be honest this little mount will fit nicely on my boat's roof. I am going on the boat in middle May for 3 weeks plenty of time to test the system.

Just don't step back in awe at the views Mark.... ??????

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, happy-kat said:

With the skywatcher l bracket the mount also makes a great camera tripod. 

Yes you correct. I have improved the set up further by adding the L bracket + a vixen type saddle + adding a 360 degree circle around the edge of the mount.

Archived