sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

How dark is it on Ardnamurchan Peninsula in Summer

Hi,

I am planning a visit to Ardnamurchan (in Scotland) during the last week in May and the first week in June 2016.

Researching the night time darkness it seems to go dark at 23:00 and bright again by 03:30am. 

But how dark will it be? Should I take my astro gear?, will it be worth the effort given that the Moon will be in the Last Quarter at the time.

I camped on Skye in mid June about 6 years ago and it was dim at midnight and seeable again at 02:00am. I could see the outline of the Cullin Hills when I adventured out of the tent!

Thanks

Adrian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mebbee Aye - Mebbee  Nooooo !  (hic!)  

Hi Folks, Well, I am back down south again, brilliant weather here for ducks, rain, rain and even heavier rain since I got home. I spent nearly two weeks in bonnie Scotland and 'ere a wee dr

My dad said he went up to Scotland once and woke up at 2AM... He said it was like daylight so I can only assume he was there during summer. Planetary will be fine, but deep sky probably won't hap

Posted Images

My dad said he went up to Scotland once and woke up at 2AM... He said it was like daylight so I can only assume he was there during summer.

Planetary will be fine, but deep sky probably won't happen.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Floater said:

Take something, Adrian - scope, bins, anything.

Just think how you'll feel if you missed an opportunity. ??

+1, and +1 for pipnina as well

I was about to post :- depends upon which Astro Gear you ( Adrian) were thinking of, for averted imagination obscure fuzzies probably not, for brighter things (doubles, novae etc) yes take some gear, and if you didnt and Beetlejuice went nova you'd be kicking yourself ;);)  heheee. 

Edited by SilverAstro
  • Like 1

Hi Adrian.

At that latitude may/june it will be as dark as Watford is at 8pm tonight. At best.

But views of Mars and Saturn actually might be pretty good then. And if so, binoculars just wont be enough.:smiley:

Rune

Hi Folks,

A big thanks for your recommendations....

I planned to take my Swarovski ATS/80 (mag 20 to 60)  birding telescope and  8x42 bins for birdwatching and seawatching, these can be used for astro work in a limited way.

As I will be with 17 others in a bunk house, (16 of the club are sleeping in the bunk house while 2 of us are camping outside) and  I may have to take diving gear for a friend, I will finally decide when I am packing the car if there is room in the car for a larger scope. 

In the meantime, I will take Rune's advice and check the sky at 20:00 on the first clear night in Watford  to see how bright it is.

Anyway, I will keep you posted on the trip. (If Skipper Billy is around at the time may be we can meet up for a wee dram....)

Thanks again.

Adrian

You'll probably regret not having even a grab and Go with you if you do decide to 
take nothing. I mean how much space would it take up.
Go on, risk a G & G , you know
it makes sense :icon_biggrin:.

• Like 2
On 6.4.2016 at 17:46, Adrian Condon said:

Researching the night time darkness it seems to go dark at 23:00 and bright again by 03:30am. 

If coming Saturday night is clear, I will be able to tell you afterwards, as we have these times for darkness the coming weekend (at 59 degrees north). And I plan an observing session.

What I remember from having been on Skye many years ago, is that the weather changes rapidly and you can easily have 4 seasons in a day, even in an hour. So maybe sticking to binoculars is not a bad idea. They are easier to put away if it starts raining.

During summer time the darkest time of night is 1a.m. so any observing session should aim to have that time as mid-point. At Ardnamurchan in late May the Sun reaches about 12 degrees below horizon at 1a.m. and by early June it's about 10 degrees. To do deep-sky astronomy you really want the Sun to be a bare minimum 13 degrees below horizon; as it is, the sky will be in twilight, with the horizon clearly visible and the Milky Way invisible. The number of visible stars will be the same as you'd expect at a light polluted site in full night time.

I'd take binoculars for bird watching, good walking boots, a fishing rod, midgie repellent and waterproofs. Scotland (my homeland) is a wonderful place, but not for summer astronomy.

Edited by acey
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

In the meantime, I will take Rune's advice and check the sky at 20:00 on the first clear night in Watford  to see how bright it is.

ouch. I meant sameish dark as Watford at 9pm... Sorry

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Folks,

A big thanks for your recommendations....

I planned to take my Swarovski ATS/80 (mag 20 to 60)  birding telescope and  8x42 bins for birdwatching and seawatching, these can be used for astro work in a limited way.

As I will be with 17 others in a bunk house, (16 of the club are sleeping in the bunk house while 2 of us are camping outside) and  I may have to take diving gear for a friend, I will finally decide when I am packing the car if there is room in the car for a larger scope. 

Anyway, I will keep you posted on the trip. (If Skipper Billy is around at the time may be we can meet up for a wee dram....)

Thanks again.

Adrian

Oooohhh - did someone mention a wee dram !   Count me in ! PM me if you head this way and I will gladly help you find good spots.

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

Oooohhh - did someone mention a wee dram !   Count me in ! PM me if you head this way and I will gladly help you find good spots.

Now then, Billy.

Just because you're astro gear is away, will you not be careful and not be getting carried away too, yourself now ...

??

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks,

Well, I am back down south again, brilliant weather here for ducks, rain, rain and even heavier rain since I got home.

I spent nearly two weeks in bonnie Scotland and 'ere a wee drop of rain was felt. Brilliant sunshine all the time.

The night time was short. I was able to climb into my tent at midnight without a torch! (taking the extra batteries was a waste of time!)

I saw Jupiter and the Moon, but that was about it. The sky never really got dark, glad I left my main astro gear at home.

I was introduced to the midges, pesky little creatures who ate me alive in Glencoe has I set my tent up.

The midges seem to operate at dawn and dusk when it is a bit damp, did not experience any during the hot sunny days.

Had a great bird watching break, especially on the islands off Mull.

I hope to be back in Scotland at the end of July and early August in Dumfries.

Of course, I plan to attend Scotland's premier star party in Galloway at the end of October and early November 2016, the skies will be dark and very dark.

Thanks for all your helpful advice.....

Cheers

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Condon
  • Like 3

Glad you had a good trip, the weather can make or break a camping holiday.

Midges can be torture in The Highlands in the summer. We get a few here in the Welsh hills- but seemingly less numerous and less tenacious!

I'd like to invent a solar powered midge killer featuring UV LED's and some slow release CO2 brew to lure them in. But I haven't worked out a low energy of actually killing the blighters (most methods seem to need high voltages).

• Like 1

That's about it, had a summer in Skye a few years ago, got up at 1:00am took one look at the pale blue-gray sky and went back to bed... in February, however, it was a different story and some fun driving over snowy passes in blizzard in the TOTAL dark on the way there...

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Gordon,

The midges in Glencoe campsite are protected by law, I have been told when I asked.... The site is owned by the National Trust for Scotland (NTS) and run by the Camping and Caravan Club. The problem is that they (NTS) have a Visitor Centre next to the campsite, where the Centre Manager house is home to the Common Pipistrelle bat. They are not allowed to destroy the bats main food supply.

The local garage in Glencoe has a supply of Repel Midge spray with something called Saltidin in it, 12ml costs £8.00. It seemed to do the trick....

They also sell Avon Skin so Soft which also comes recommended. I bought both.... so I have ample supply for next visit...

I also camped out at Rosemarkie but the wind off the sea seemed to control the midges.

Cheers

Adrian

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dunners19871
      Hi all,
      I am hoping someone might be able to help with a possible way to shoot dark and bias frames on a DSLR (canon 700D) without the need to cover the scope  or camera, ideally using APT scripts 

My thinking is that the camera, has a noise reduction mode where it will take the light shot, then with the shutter closed it will take a dark frame and subtract it from the light. So could you take a series of dark frames on ATP and lock the shutter down?

If anyone knows I would love to know. Would be great to automate the lights, park the scope and have it run darks and bias, without the need to go out to it and cap up at 3.-4 in the morn 

Thanks 

Matt 

@astro_pics_uk
    • By sza85
      Hi!
      Yesterday I was reading about dark frames vs in camera long exposure noise reduction, and something caught my attention. As far as my (so far little but growing) knowledge goes, the best you can do is to take the calibration frames right after the imaging session. This can be a pain in the A, and as I read yesterday, many takes these frames separately, when there is nothing better to do, like on a cloudy afternoon. This is allright, it's a good idea, you can create different master darks and other master calibration frames on different temperatures (room temp, cold, hot etc), and use these when stacking images from your light sessions according to the temperatures the lights frames were capured at.
      But. As far as I know, my darks should have the exact same settings and focus that my lights have. If I know I use for an example a prime wide angle lens at F2.8 all the time, with ISO 1600 to capture the milky way, that's okay. But what if something changes? What if I use ISO 3200 for some reason? What about the focus (okay, inifinity, but not exactly the same all the time when manual focusing)? What if I use a zoom lens on different focal lenghts? What about the other calibration frames?
      It's definitely not impossible to be prepared for every scenario, but when you use lenses instead of telescopes, there are more variations.
      Extra info, if that matters: I'm using a Nikon D5500, which is "ISO invariant".
      I'm really curious about your replies, as this could greatly improve my image's quality, if It's possible to take calibration frames this way.
      Thanks in advance!

Árpád
    • By MikeODay
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy ( NGC 1365 ) in the constellation Fornax
      edit: new version with new long exposure data ( 52 x 240sec ) and better dark subtraction / dithering to remove streaks in the noise and amp glow.  This also allowed for a greater stretch revealing more faint data in the galaxy and small faint fuzzies in the image ..

The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy ( NGC 1365 ) in Fornax ( please click / tap to see larger )
      and below I have added a 100% crop of new version:

original image:

NGC 1365  ( please click / tap on image to see larger )
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy (  NGC 1365 ) in the Constellation Fornax
      Below the equator, not seen from much of the Northern hemisphere, NGC 1365 passes very nearly directly overhead an observer situated near Cape Town, as Sir John Herschel was in November of 1837, or near Sydney, as I was, almost exactly 180 years later, when I photographed this “remarkable nebula” that is numbered 2552 in his book of observations from the Cape.
      Not called a “nebula” now, of course, this striking object is one of the nearest and most studied examples of a barred spiral ( SB ) galaxy that also has an active galactic nuclei resulting in its designation as a Seyfert galaxy.
      At around 60 M light years from Earth, NGC 1365 is still seen to occupy a relatively large area ( 12 by 6 arc minutes ) due to its great size; at some 200,000 light years or so across, NGC 1365 is nearly twice as wide as the Milky Way and considerably wider than both the Sculptor and Andromeda galaxies.
      This High Dynamic Range ( HDR ) image is built up from multiple exposures ranging from 4 to 120 seconds with the aim of capturing the faint detail in the spiral arms of the galaxy whilst also retaining colour in the brightest star ( the orange-red 7th magnitude giant, HD 22425 ).  Also, scattered throughout the image, and somewhat more difficult to see, are numerous and far more distant galaxies with apparent magnitudes of 16 to 18 or greater.
      Mike O'Day

Identification:
      The Great Barred Spiral Galaxy
      New General Catalogue -  NGC 1365
      General Catalogue -  GC 731
      John Herschel ( Cape of Good Hope ) # 2552 - Nov 28, 29 1837
      Principal Galaxy Catlogue - PCG 13179
      ESO 358-17
      IRAS 03317-3618
      RA (2000.0) 3h 33m 37.2 s
      DEC (2000.0) -36 deg 8' 36.5"
      10th magnitude Seyfert-type galaxy in the Fornaux cluster of galaxies
      200 Kly diameter
      60 Mly distance

Capture Details:
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1400mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:  Nikon D7500 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.7mm, 5568x3712 @ 4.196um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 22 Nov 2017 )
      6 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 4s to 120s ) all at ISO400.
      70 x 120s + 5 each @ 4s to 60s
      total around 2.5hrs 

Processing ( Pixinsight )
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and no darks
      Integration in 6 sets
      HDR combination 
      Image - Plate Solution
      ==========================================
      Resolution ........ 1.328 arcsec/px
      Rotation .......... -0.008 deg  ( North is up )
      Field of view ..... 58' 8.6" x 38' 47.5"
      Image center ...... RA: 03 33 41.182  Dec: -36 07 46.71
      ==========================================
    • By MikeODay
      The Rosette Nebula and Cluster ( NGC 2237 and 2244 ) in the constellation Monoceros
      edit:  updated 30th Dec with improved colour balance and slightly increased brightness ...

original:

( please click / tap on image to see larger and sharper )
      Still a work-in-progress really... with only 10 x 4min exposures for the main 'lights' before the clouds came over.  I will try to add some more data when the moon has gone
      I am still experimenting with how to get the best out of the D7500.  With the very warm nights ( low to mid 20s all night ) the 'warm pixels' are very noticeable so I reverted to my old practice of in-camera dark subtraction.  This worked quite well and produced a nice smooth noise floor in the integrated images - albeit at the expense of more exposures.
      Identification:
      The Rosette Nebula ( NGC 2237 ) is a large, circular emission nebula in the constellation Monoceros.  It surrounds a cluster of hot, young stars known as the Rosette Cluster ( NGC 2244 ). ( SkySafari )
      NGC 2237, 2244
      Caldwell 49, 50
      North is up.
      Capture Details:
      Telescope: Orion Optics CT12 Newtonian ( mirror 300mm, fl 1200mm, f4 ).
      Corrector: ASA 2" Coma Corrector Quattro 1.175x.
      Effective Focal Length / Aperture : 1400mm f4.7
      Mount: Skywatcher EQ8
      Guiding: TSOAG9 Off-Axis-Guider, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, PHD2 
      Camera:
      Nikon D7500 (unmodified) (sensor 23.5 x 15.7mm, 5568x3712 @ 4.196um pixels)
      Moderate light pollution ( pale green zone on darksitefinder.com map )
      Capture ( 23 Dec 2017 )
      9 sets of sub-images with exposure duration for each set doubling ( 1s to 240s ) all at ISO400.
      10 x 240s + 5 each @ 1s to 120s
      imaged ~ +/- 1.5hrs either side of meridian
      maximum altitude ~ 51.3 deg above north horizon
      Processing ( Pixinsight )
      Calibration: master bias, master flat and in-camera dark subtraction
      Integration in 9 sets
      HDR combination 

Image Plate Solution
      ===================================
      Resolution ........ 0.633 arcsec/px ( full size image )
      Rotation .......... 0.181 deg
      Focal ............. 1367.90 mm
      Pixel size ........ 4.20 um
      Field of view ..... 58' 59.4" x 39' 15.0"
      Image center ...... RA: 06 31 55.638  Dec: +04 56 30.84
      ===================================
    • By breckland_astro
      If any of you are interested in a star party in East Suffolk, we have been hosting a Star Party every March and October at Hinton, near Saxmundham, Suffolk at a newly developed Caravan and campsite, Haw Wood Farm, for the last 5 years. It is £12 per pitch per night with electricity hook up (adapter needed) call Dan or Georgina (see link below). Some of you here may know about it; on good nights we have had a SQM reading of 21.75 - it can get dark enough to see the Zodiacal Light! Many local society members meet up: Norwich, Castle Point, North Essex, OASI (Orwell), DASH (local) and Breckland among others and it is generally friendly and welcoming (if we can see you in the dark!). Saturday 14th we run an event: a skytour or talks in the cafe, dependent on weather. Unfortunately, timing clashes with the SGL star party but we're a long way from it.
      See link for details: http://www.hawwoodfarm.co.uk/things-to-do/events-hawwood/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.